Oslo: Viking Museum from Filipstad

We'll be on Emerald arriving July 8th. I was thinking of going to the Viking Museum, Frogner Park and City Hall (we're in town from 10A-7P). Not sure what the best sequence is for this. I was thinking to do Bygdøy first. Would that require a taxi? I guess it's also walkable from Filipstad (4.4 km). Since we'll be using buses during the day, where can you get the 24 hour pass? Can you validate it at any bus stop? Any thoughts on how crowded the 33 bus normally is?

Sorry for the slow reply! Sometimes my day job gets in the way! ;)

Filipstad is kind of an awkward port, given its location. From my experience, the bus 33 is typically not at all crowded, but it does only run every 30 minutes (currently at :08 and :38 past the hour).

You can validate a 24-hour transit pass on any form of transportation. If you have the paper version, the bus driver or ferry conductor can stamp it, or there are yellow or orange stamping machines at subway stations or on trams. For the electronic Flexus version, all of the above have digital readers that can scan/validate the card.

Unfortunately, I can't really think of a place to buy the 24-hour pass near the Filipstad pier. There isn't really a lot there. :( First I would look around for a tourist info table they might set up by the ship and ask there for suggestions. Alternatively, you could try the Color Ferry terminal. I know there are some newsstands in the terminal, which would likely sell tickets and transit passes. The bus #33 from the pier does head to downtown, but the route beyond isn't particularly useful, so you'd probably want to get down at Nationaltheatret.

If you wanted to walk into town, it's about 20 minutes. While it can be a little confusing to get out of the pier area, there is a decent pedestrian path along the highway, so it's not a difficult walk. Once in town, you can buy a transit pass from any convenience store (i.e. 7-11, Narvesen, Deli de Luca, Mix).

Since you'll be in port later than the museums, etc are open, I would save Frogner Park until the end to give yourself a relaxed schedule. My suggestion would be to walk from Nationaltheatret to the City Hall, and see that first. The ferry to Bygdøy leaves from a pier right in front of the city hall, so you can take that to the first stop Dronningen, and the Viking Ship museum is a 5-10 minute walk up that street. From there, you can take the Bus #30 & #20 to Vigelands Park (changing at Olav Kyrres plass).

To get back to Filipstad would require getting back to the #33 bus. The simplest way would be to head over to Majorstuen (by tram 12, bus 20, or on foot) and then ride the T-bane (subway) back to Nationaltheatret.

Hope that helps!

-Meg

Archived