Have you traveled with an Enhanced ID not Drivers License?

anab

Hi,

I'm a New York resident and I do not drive. I paid additionally to have an Enhanced Photo ID. According to the state of NY, I can travel by sea or land to some places, see below links.

Now, I was under the impression that this was enough to travel on a cruise. However, Carnival Cruise, states that they take the Enhanced Drivers License. There is no mention about the Enhanced Photo ID.

Has anyone traveled wtih an Enhanced Photo ID?

I called Carnival and they were very vague and just referred me back to the website.

I hate it when companies assume everyone should have a driver's license. IN NYC, most people do not drive. Also, I recall going to a Hockey game in Boston and being turned down for alcohol because apparently they only accepted drivers license as proof and not an ID. I'm just afraid to get to the part and be turned down because its an ID and not a drivers license.

Any feedback would be much appreciated.

Thanks!:confused:

http://www.nydmv.state.ny.us/edl-main.htm

http://www.carnival.com/cms/faq/default.aspx?faq=travel+documentation

I thought I was fine, but my cruise leaves on Sunday and coincidentally that's when I noticed on Carnival’s website that it said "drivers license" and not "ID". If anything, I'll just have to go to the passport agency today or tomorrow.

I think I can travel with the birth certificate and ID alone, however, it wouldn't hurt to have additional proof.

As long as it's a "closed-loop" cruise (meaning it begins and ends from the same port), a government-issued photo ID such as what you have should definitely be sufficient. Don't make yourself crazy! (But next time, get a passport.) :)

This is from the US Customs and Border Protection website:

U.S. Citizens on closed-loop cruises will be able to enter or depart the country on the cruise with proof of citizenship, such as an original or copy of his or her birth certificate (issued by the Vital Records Department in the state where he or she was born) and, if 16 or older, a government issued photo ID. If the child is a newborn and the actual birth certificate has not arrived from the Vital Records Department, we will accept a Hospital issued birth certificate. The United States does not require you to have a passport. (A Consular report of Birth Abroad issued by the Department of State or a Certificate of Naturalization is also acceptable.)

That link shows the same rights for EDL as ENDID (enhanced non driver ID), so I would say yes, you shouldn't have any problem with that. Although these are relatively new, they are getting used more and more by people in the states that offer them.

What I would do, if it were me, is EMAIL guest services, and ask if the ENDID (and spell out what it is) works the same as EDL for boarding a ship (maybe even add in that link). Get your answer, and if/when they say yes, print that email.

It also states Enhanced Tribal Card is acceptable - which is not for driving...

I recall a thread about the EDL awhile back, and think the original poster came back & advised there were no problems with using his EDL (no passport), which makes sense because it is a valid form of ID.

I cruised in May, on the Inspiration, with birth certificate and photo id...no problems. I think, as long as it's a closed loop cruise, you will be fine. They never looked twice. It was an extremely easy boarding processes. Hope this helps...have a great cruise!

I'm from New York, and also have the enhanced ID. You can use that for limited travel, but I also got the passport. If something happened on the cruise and you had to leave, you couldn't fly back to the USA with just an enhanced ID, you would need a passport.

Yes you can! I have cruised twice with my EDL with no problems. I did bring my birth certificate just in case, but was told no need because everything is on your EDL. I was told to keep it in the protective case so no one else would be able to get the info on it (scanning). Hope this helps. Have a great trip!!

• 1 year later...
Yes you can! I have cruised twice with my EDL with no problems. I did bring my birth certificate just in case, but was told no need because everything is on your EDL. I was told to keep it in the protective case so no one else would be able to get the info on it (scanning). Hope this helps. Have a great trip!!

Hello Mrs Luck you traveled on your Enhanced Id you had no problems using it? Did everyone know what it was? You had no problem getttng into the different islands?

Hello Mrs Luck you traveled on your Enhanced Id you had no problems using it? Did everyone know what it was? You had no problem getttng into the different islands?

My DD8 has an Enhanced ID and it was fine for her, I didn't need to show anything else except that ID for her, I would assume it would be the same for you.

Enjoy your trip!

My DD8 has an Enhanced ID and it was fine for her, I didn't need to show anything else except that ID for her, I would assume it would be the same for you.

Enjoy your trip!

Great I'm glad to hear I'm so excited. When your where touring each island had no problems.

You don't need it to get into the islands. You need it to get into the USA! The islands do not care, and you do not go through customs except on your return to USA. The idea of a DL is to be used as a picture ID in conjuction with a Birth Certificate to prove you are a citizen. If you have a passport, it it both the picture and proof. I personnally would carry my birth certificate just in case since everything is a bit vague.

You need a picture ID sometimes to go through port security. You need it in conjuction with your ship pass. With the nubmer of people, they usually just looking at your ship pass.

Wow. OP asks specifically about a state issued ID and people respond about passports.

OP - I hope you have gotten the information you needed about your specific question. And I agree to email customer service and get a reply back in writing, if possible.

Archived