What to do? DIsney Magic, Carnival Legend - Other

Rob_Jen

Well we are trying to plan a fall vacation. Right now we are tossing around these ideas.

Disney Magic, Carnival Legend, or a Dream Punta Cana resort for a week. Kids are 6 and 4.

We did the Carnival Dream (Western) last year and liked it but it did not live up to the Disney Magic (Western) with the amenities with the kids. The legend is a thought because its 1/2 the price of the Disney ship but its the same islands we did last year. The Magic would be the Eastern Caribbean this time. Air fare is the same for both of these. We wanted to go on the new Disney ship but the 7 day is not out yet and its going to be too expensive.

Going to Punta Cana is the same price as the Disney ship as well.

Help please.

If you weren't crazy about Carnival Dream, then I think you'd be even more disappointed with Legend. It's tough to compare with Disney Magic... I found when we took the kids (then 5 and 1) on Carnival Glory, there was not a lot for my 5 YO to do outside the kids club, whereas on Disney (when they were 6 and 2), it was non-stop entertainment. Your kids are kind of at that perfect age for Disney, and won't be forever, so I think that might be your best bet. However, I hear you on the price - a good compromise might be one of the Royal Caribbean ships with the Dreamworks characters, or Norwegian with Nickelodeon if any of those sailings and itineraries work with your timeframe. In general, I find all-inclusives to be a big let down compared to cruising - food and service don't even come close, even at some of the higher end resorts. For now, we're committed cruisers :)

about the land based trips. If you wait, you should be able to get a smashing deal on Punta Cana for the fall (being that it's hurricane season). However, the land-based trips rarely have the kids clubs that cruise ships provide. I find we spend more time together, hanging out at the beach or pool, going on the water toys etc than we do cruising. I also find the land based trips MUCH more relaxing, as you're not tied to the cruise ship's arrival and departure schedule in port.

So ultimately it depends on what you're looking for out of your trip. If having the kids in a kids program is really important, then the land based trip is probably not for you. Otherwise the PP has some good suggestions for ships that you may like.

I'm in NJ, less than 10 miles from NYC, and we did the same itinerary with DCL and NCL, and would never spend that $ for DCL again. We love the 20 minute drive to the port, my older kids thought the DCL kids club was boring, and they loved the Nick activities on the Jewel. We spend under $5000 for 9 of us in balcony cabins.

We are about 30 minutes North of NYC/NJ Port. We would like to take a cruise out of here but we want to go in November and when I get on the ship I do not want to be bundled up in winter coats for the first few days. Pools go to be cold in November. My kids being 6 and 4 are still Disney fanatics.

Too many choices.

We are still looking at land based options but not sold on any yet. Not sure the kids would not get bored at a Punta cana resort for a week.

The RCCL ships look nice and have been on RCCL years ago (Pre kids). Their prices are almost as bad as Disney's now.

Well Disney took care of most of the problem. The ship is booked full for inside/ocean view rooms and only have Verandas left that we can not afford at this time.

Depressing as we were leaning towards that.

We are about 30 minutes North of NYC/NJ Port. We would like to take a cruise out of here but we want to go in November and when I get on the ship I do not want to be bundled up in winter coats for the first few days. Pools go to be cold in November. My kids being 6 and 4 are still Disney fanatics.

Too many choices.

We went the first week this year, and just wore hoodies the first day. Although there were some kids in the pool, the next day was warm enough for everyone to enjoy, and it was hot the following days in Florida and the Bahamas.

Still looking for ideas. Punta Cana will be too much money as well when we add the airfare.

What is a good place to go to with the family in November? We still want to cruise but not 100% on the Carnival ship again. RCCL is almost the same price as Disney now.

Its only going to be a week vacation and we want it warm once we get on vacation. a 7 day cruise out of NY will mean 2-3 days of cold.

Archived