When to book

rickandpat

We are seriously thinking about the Jan. 28 cruise out of San Juan. I know that SeaDream sometimes runs specials, but my husband's job means we have to book vacations at least 6 months in advance - too far out usually to see those prices. If we book and special rates are posted later, do they refund the difference? As you can tell, we've only done a few cruises and there are lots of things we don't know.

If the advertised price is one that you are willing to pay, book now. Unless the rules have changed since we have done this, should there be a price reduction before your final payment, Seadream will adjust your final balance due. It is not an issue of a refund because you have only made a deposit on the cruise, and not paid for the full cruise. I believe that there is a small charge for this, perhaps $50. I can remember one cruise years ago when we had our fare reduced two or three times before final payment. But be sure that the price you are booking at is one you are willing to pay. Our next Seadream cruise, leaving in late July, has increased rather than decreased in price since we booked it eighteen months ago. You need to be vigilant and keep checking the price online once you book the cruise; Seadream's prices are capacity controlled and there is often movement in both directions. Good luck! I hope that you book this cruise and that you have a wonderful time. Our Seadream cruise this summer will be our fourth.

Zimmy is correct. We are booked on BTB leaving 11/1 and our fare went down $1000. We gladly paid the $50 charge. You do have to find the change yourself unless you have a very good TA but it's not a problem to check every once in a while.

On a couple of occasions, we have booked Deck 2 and then seen a GTY rate come in (GTY meaning your cabin is assigned at embarkation). We've been able to get the price reduction (minus the $50 change fee) and don't mind where we end up especially since there are no bad cabins on SD. We've also been upgraded to Deck 3 or 4 now and then by doing that, which is nice. I really do like Deck 3 but it's not financially worth it to me to book it -- I'm just fine with deck 2. But as Zimmy notes, the price can go up! So, if you are ok with the current price, don't take the chance of it going up later and book now!

Vandrefalk

My vote is book now.

Im a little OCD and like to find out lots of information prior to the cruise so booking early gives me lots of time to learn!

I have a cruise coming in november that i booked last october! :)

and I just booked one for next november

its something I always do! and the best part is watching the prices go up and up whilst im safely booked in a great rate!

JMHO

Soon after I started this thread, SeaDream sent an e-mail on some specials. The price was very good, and airfare isn't bad either. We are just waiting to hear from Rick's work that he can have the week of Dec. 10th. off for a 6-day cruise out of St. Thomas to San Juan to make the deposit. This will get Rick's feet wet, and show us if he can be as active as he likes - diving, biking, snorkeling, hiking, swimming, etc. Everything I read tells me this is the cruiseship for us!

Archived