St Martin Hotels/cruise port

xsnowman99

As a 7 time veteran of WindStar, we have not been on her for a few years and am looking forward to March 2012 on the Surf (and bringing newbie friends with us--their first ever cruise!). We took our honeymoon 10 years ago on the Spirit which was our first experience. I would love some suggestions for a hotel for 1 night pre and post sail that might be reasonably close to cruise port in St Martin.

Also, a few questions...do they still play VanGelis when we leave ports (I have raved to our friends about this happening...brings tears to your eyes everytime)? I am sure most of the people I know are gone, but by any chance is Jay still there? Who is the current captain?

Our last time on the Surf was the day the announcement of the sale to Ambassador was made public (to passengers and employees). There was a lot of scrambling of employees to find new avenues for employment. I do hope the staff got more warning this time about the buyout and that it will be a good thing for them all.

Thanks in advance for any information. I am used to going to St Martin for the day..but not staying on island.

The yacht still plays Vangelis 1492 when sailing from port. Current captain is Captain Alan MacArey.

Same great crew! You will have a great time.

New additions since you have been on: deck BBQ in addition to the beach BBQ; dining on deck in evening alfresco -- Le Marche and Candles.

• 4 months later...
As a 7 time veteran of WindStar, we have not been on her for a few years and am looking forward to March 2012 on the Surf (and bringing newbie friends with us--their first ever cruise!). We took our honeymoon 10 years ago on the Spirit which was our first experience. I would love some suggestions for a hotel for 1 night pre and post sail that might be reasonably close to cruise port in St Martin.

Also, a few questions...do they still play VanGelis when we leave ports (I have raved to our friends about this happening...brings tears to your eyes everytime)? I am sure most of the people I know are gone, but by any chance is Jay still there? Who is the current captain?

Our last time on the Surf was the day the announcement of the sale to Ambassador was made public (to passengers and employees). There was a lot of scrambling of employees to find new avenues for employment. I do hope the staff got more warning this time about the buyout and that it will be a good thing for them all.

Thanks in advance for any information. I am used to going to St Martin for the day..but not staying on island.

I'm looking for the same 'hotel' information. The Trip Advisor reviews are not very helpful ... each hotel I've looked at that costs less than $300 a night gets reviews that go from 'palace' to 'dump' for the same place. When are you going in March ... we are the 3rd and the 10th.

A couple things to add....My wife and I will be on the Surf again Jan 14. We have cruised on the ship this past Feb 2011 and Feb 2010. The crew was fantastic in Feb and I hope they are still there. Daddy, Bobbie, June, Alvin, and Geno are all our favorites! Once we get on board, we normally go to reservations and book Candles. As long as the wind is not too bad, it's outstanding and under the stars. Filets that are real filets if you know what I mean. NOTE: on our last cruise, we found out they have a limit of one alternate dining experience at either Candles or Le Marche, so you can't do both. Unless, you find out the trick to doing that! It seems like we overheard somebody say they got around this restriction by simply inviting their friends to eat. So one couple makes the reservation at Candles and sends an invite to the other. Then the other couple does the same at Le Marche. As I say, I personally prefer the big juicy steak and a bottle of Cab. The main dining room is consistent and outstanding every night as well. As far as hotels in St. Maarten, we arrive a day early at 4:00pm. So by the time you get to your hotel, it's about dark. The next morning you have a few hours and then you can board the ship. So we didn't think too much about where we booked. Booked the Westin at Dawn Beach and will make the best out of it!

Once we get on board, we normally go to reservations and book Candles. As long as the wind is not too bad, it's outstanding and under the stars. Filets that are real filets if you know what I mean. NOTE: on our last cruise, we found out they have a limit of one alternate dining experience at either Candles or Le Marche, so you can't do both. As far as hotels in St. Maarten, we arrive a day early at 4:00pm. So by the time you get to your hotel, it's about dark. The next morning you have a few hours and then you can board the ship. So we didn't think too much about where we booked. Booked the Westin at Dawn Beach and will make the best out of it!

Our last trip on Windsurf was 1/2010 and they allowed one visit to each of the venues, and they would also allow more on a last minute basis, if they were not full. We also dined several times at the outdoor venue on Windstar while in Cost Rica this past February. Anyway, I hope they allow last minute drop-ins in March when we board in St. Maarten so we can go a couple times. Actually, we will have at least a couple shots as we are going B2B. For Hotels we decided upon the Sonesta Maho Beach.

Archived