Seker Bayrami or Ramazan Bayrami

We're looking at a cruise that leaves Instanbul on Saturday, Sept. 3rd. We'd planned on leaving the States on Wednesday, August 31st to spend a few days in Istanbul first. I now understand that there's a 3 day holiday which overlaps with our stay. My husband is also curious if things are potentially closed on Friday, their Sabbath day. Between those two possibilities, I'm concerned about whether we'll even be able to see much on the days we'd have left. Plus I understand that things are very crowded during Seker.

Has anybody had experience with this and can advise? (Either part: the Seker holiday or the question of Friday closures?)

Thanks so much.

On a normal Friday, tourist attractions are not closed. This includes:

• Topkapi Palace (closed Tuesdays)
  • Haghia Sophia (closed Mondays)
  • The Blue Mosque (closed only briefly during services, possibly longer on Fridays but still open between)
  • Basilica Cistern (closed Tuesdays)
  • Grand Bazaar (closed Sundays; some stores may close a bit early on Fridays and/or holidays)
  • Archaeology Museum (closed Mondays)

I can't help regarding the particular holiday you mention, but I suggest you post on Tripadvisor's Istanbul forum which has some local experts who will be happy to answer you: http://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowForum-g293974-i368-Istanbul.html

Amended to add: Oops, looks like you may have already posted there. Here is the answer, for anyone else interested:

http://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g293974-i368-k4549429-Seker_Bayrami-Istanbul.html

Archived