Arm amputee and snorkeling

Suelost

Hi - I am a left arm and shoulder amputee. I lost my arm to cancer 30 years ago. One of my dreams is to snorkel, but I do not swim, and regular life vests just float above my head because there is no arm to hold it down. My family is booked on the Legend in July, and I would love to join them snorkeling. Any ideas about special life jackets or other ideas would be appreciated!

Thanks!

Hi

I sent a reply on the Disabled Travel forum with advice about flotation aids, masks and a bit of practice before you leave or on the ship. All that still stands but now I know you are not a swimmer I would add the advice to either stick to challow water sites or take a blow up float with you - a willing swimming partner is another option - almost a must. My partner is an almost non swimmer and we took a blow up float to Mana Island on Fiji and it gave him confidence and something to hang onto when he wasn't hanging onto me or I was exploring on my own. Essentially I took responsibility for his safety as there was no supervision snorkeling off the island. I have also buddied with a fellow cruiser who could just paddle a little and had never snorkeled before on the Isle of Pines. He held onto me with one hand and flapped his flippers to help with momentum while I provided direction and boyancy. The depth was not above neck hight. It worked but he could only manage short bursts before he needed to stand up. Some tours / sites will not allow non swimmers to snorkel, others provide flotation devices usually noodles - depends on the conditions and the depth.

Colleen

First off let me say that I know nothing about handicap snorkeling, but I have never let ignorance stop me before.

Here are my thoughts.

1. Nobody is going to recomend that you jump into the Sea if you can't swim. So learn to swim. There are plenty of Red Cross instructors out there that will get you comfortable in the water. Just Do It!
  2. Next, the Vest. There are snorkeling vests (blow-up) and Life vests that strap between your legs. I would assume that they would work better than a standard vest without leg straps and stay secure.
  3. Colleen is right, get a snorkel buddy. I am sure you know best who you can trust to swim with you. Remember you will be in salt water and you will float even without a vest. You buddy doesn't have to be big just smart and alert to your needs.
  4. Get a Good Snorkel set before you go so you can practice in a pool with your red cross coach right from the start. I would think that the hardest technique you would have to learn is to purge the snorkel if water gets in it with one hand. definatly doable.
  5. Contact The handicap scuba association. (don't be put off by SCUBA, I have never met a Scuba Diver that wouldn't help out a snorkeler). I am sure they have info or a forum. http://www.hsascuba.com/
  6. I think a snorkeling raft would be a great idea as a platform for you to work from. Here is a Raft. http://www.isnorkel.com/category-exec/category_id/195/nm/Snorkeling-rafts?gclid=CL2FsPiFrqkCFU5qKgodkGb1Nw But, it doesn't replace your feeling comfortable in the water.
  7. Finally, pick your snorkel spot. I would focus on Grand Cayman sting ray tour. Tell the tour operator what you plan on doing and what support you will need. The sand bar is very shallow and the other snorkel stops are short if you don't feel comfortable you can stay on board. In Roatan west beach like Bananarama is easy snorkeling right off the beach after a $10 taxi ride. Cozumel is has too much current and Belize is not as easy to get to good snorkeling.

I am on Legend in Nov. and would love to snorkel with you! It is a blast. Snorkeling is just floating and looking down. YOU CAN DO IT!

I taught swimming to handicap for several years

you CAN swim . . if you can't stay afloat,

to enter water deeper than your ankles if you know you can NOT swim is a BIG mistake

relying on a life jacket is a BIG mistake

Don't trust me, I was a life guard for 35 years . . . and taught swimming for many of those - including special classes for handicap . . . one arm gone was no where near the top of my students 'issues' list.

You can swim and snorkel with no assistance or aids . . . you just need to find the right teacher. Until you do .... stay out of the water.

I would call your local swim center and see if you could schedule a private swimming lesson. I know there are many handicapped people that swim. Being comfortable in the water will make snorkeling a lot more enjoyable for you!

Being comfortable in the water will make snorkeling a lot more enjoyable for you!

Amen

Capt BJ is right - it is about confidence in the water. You will not float in salt water if you do not know how to use and work with it to keep you afloat. My partner could possibly just about float in the Dead Sea ( he has never tried so this is a guess) but he sinks in swimming pools or the sea - he just does not know how to move his limbs to keep himself afloat. Do try and get in some practice in a pool before you go preferably with your intended cruise patners,

Archived