What do you love about the Eastern Caribbean?

lovevacadays

I've only done one EC cruise and that was back in 89. We went to St. Thomas (St. John) and San Juan. I loved San Juan and we had a really nice day in St. John.

Recently I've done the Western Caribbean a few times as I really like the variety in the ports. Roatan was one of the most beautiful islands I've ever seen, I love the Mexican ports (I'm from California so do the Mexican Riviera alot) so I like Cozumel, Grand Cayman is nice for snorkeling.

When I look at the Eastern itinerariers now for Princess it looks like Grand Turk, St Maarten, and St. Thomas are standard. I've not booked this because it seems like these islands may be very similar and primarily beach and shops. However, I'm really open to hear your experiences and why you like doing the Eastern Caribbean cruises.

Thanks

Guess I love this cruise because I DO like to shop and can find wonderful and different jewelry in St. Maarten. I also enjoy snorkeling, and Turtle Cove in St. Thomas is one of my favorites. I was looking forward to snorkeling in Grand Turk, but we had high winds the day we were there and didn't get to go.

If you've not been to the French side of St. Maarten, I suggest you go. It is quite interesting and different from the side where you dock.

Yes, I personally like EC over the Western, plus the water and weather are usually nicer.

I've been to St. Maarten once and we did the America's Cup Regatta... 'twas the most fun I've had on a cruise yet! Other places have similar excursions, but these were the classic 12-metre yachts... extraordinary. I'd go to St. Maarten again just for this excursion.

2025577802_c2a7e3e992_z.jpg?zz=1

St. Maarten America's Cup Regatta by RickEk, on Flickr

Grand Turk-Had the most colorful snorkeling we have ever seen. We went with Blue Water Divers with others from our roll call and it was great. No crowds, the operator went into the water with us and dove down to point things out. We went to the edge of the wall then later to a shallower spot with the most colorful sea life. I could of snorkeled all day.

Margaritaville is a nice place to let your hair down and have a great time. The ship is right there, no need to worry about missing the ship while you are having fun. The first time we went to Grand Turk I was afraid we would be disappointed but far from it. We love that little island and have great memories from the 2 times we have been there.

St Maarten-We also have done the America's Cup Regatta and had the best time. My husband still tells everyone about that race. We also have been to Maho Beach and to have large jets land right over your head is a real thrill.

St Thomas-Have been there 3 times and had a great time on all 3 visits. First time did a private day sail with 2 others from our roll call with Rumbaba, 2nd time did an island tour, shopping and beach with Godfrey and the last time took the Ferry to St John to Trunk Bay. I would do any of the 3 all over again.

I love the Eastern Caribbean and would have no problem doing this itinerary again.

We have been to the EC on several cruises and we do enjoy these islands. Taxi tours are great ways to see alot of island in about a few hours time.

There is alot to do in St Thomas - including short boat/ferry rides to St Johns. It has a rich pirate history and although I know Mountaintop burned down a few years ago, when we were there last year it was close to being rebuilt.

Grand Turk is a small island and you can taxi tour it in about 2 hours. There is a lighthouse and a horse farm on the beach - and of course Margaritaville is a great way to spend the day.

There is the dutch side and the french side of St Marteen - alot to see and amazing how different the 2 sides of the island are.

To be honest, DH and I preferred the Western Caribbean, but we liked the Eastern too. We snorkled at both St. Thomas and Grand Turk and found the sites to be vastly different. We didn't do any serious shopping, but did manage to get lost in Philipsburg. Fortunately, it wasn't too hard to find our way back to the dock. :o

The Eastern Caribbean is more picturesque IMHO, and more classic Caribbean with all the beaches, blue waters, etc. The shopping is also great, if that's your thing. If you're not a beach person, touring St. Thomas and St. Maarten is still a nice option for seeing the island. St. Maarten is especially diverse with the Dutch/French sides. Most, if not all, of the ports are docked, so it's easy to hop on and off the ship. I also think the 10 day itineraries on the Emerald that are a mix of Southern and Eastern ports are a nice option too.

Nothing more beautiful than a lush tropical mountian cascading in to the blue sea! Its the ambiance of the eastern!

saint-lucia_2831_600x450.jpg

As Whimsy said, nothing like a jet landing on your head!

maho-beach-3.jpg

Cheers!

Ken

I enjoy the cruise, the islands are nice but seem the same. I love Maegens bay. The bar there makes the best BBC ever. Eastern, western, southern, who cares. Sunny and tropical and I am happy. I think the cruise ship is the important item.

I did a more comprehensive write-up on the Americas Cup yacht race that I did on my recent Eastern Caribbean trip here:

http://thesledgehammer.wordpress.com/2011/04/29/living-the-slightly-glamorous-life-of-an-international-yacht-racer-on-st-maarten/

Didn't get to see much else of St Maarten beyond the Phillipsburg boardwalk, but other people in our group went out all over the island and got some cool photos of jets at Maho Beach. I wouldn't mind doing an Eastern Caribbean itinerary again if the opportunity presented itself, but it looks like our next one is going to possibly be Southern Caribbean on the Crown.

I love the lush green and the flowers of the eastern Caribbean islands, the tropical rainforests, the white and black sandy beaches, the warm turquoise water, the laid back friendly island people. :) I also like the southern Caribbean islands but more for the beaches and the warmer water during the winter months. I could sail these islands every year and never get tired of visiting most of them over and over. I sailed the western route once and may do it again someday to get away in the winter if the price is right. I am going to miss the Caribbean Princess sailing out of San Juan after next year. :(

I love the Caribbean. I've been on 9 Caribbean cruises, 6 Eastern Caribbean, 2 Western, 1 Southern. We are doing another (different) Southern this year and another Eastern next year. (I guess we really do like the Caribbean.) I did not care for the Western very much. I just found the Western ports had more pushy locals than the Eastern or Southern islands. Maybe that's just my experience.

The Eastern Caribbean islands are more picturesque to me. I love snorkeling and find it better in the Eastern islands. I think there is a better choice of beaches as well.

• 3 weeks later...
Nothing more beautiful than a lush tropical mountian cascading in to the blue sea! Its the ambiance of the eastern!

saint-lucia_2831_600x450.jpg

As Whimsy said, nothing like a jet landing on your head!

maho-beach-3.jpg

Cheers!

Ken

Oh my goodness Ken. I love your pictures. I would love to be able to save the first one with the fishing boats and use it as a screen saver. I'm technically challenged. Is there anyway to do that?

Oh my goodness Ken. I love your pictures. I would love to be able to save the first one with the fishing boats and use it as a screen saver. I'm technically challenged. Is there anyway to do that?

If you have a Windows pc, try right-clicking on the image and then "Save Image As..." Save it somewhere and then you should be able to make it your desktop image or use it in a screensaver.

• 1 month later...
If you have a Windows pc, try right-clicking on the image and then "Save Image As..." Save it somewhere and then you should be able to make it your desktop image or use it in a screensaver.

Hi Rick,

Thanks so much. I just got back to this thread and noticed your post. How easy was that!

Archived