How much cash to carry on island tour?

JPCARDS

Touring St. Martin with Joyce Prince off Allure of the Seas. There are 6 of us. She prefers cash payment which is fine with me. I will need about $500.00 to cover the cost of the tour with Joyce inclusive of a tip. Do plan on some shopping in Phillipsburg and Marigot and then Orient beach for lunch and several hours of sun and sand. It seems from these boards that most of the places on Orient beach take cash only. Do I need to be prepared to take over $1000.00 to cover expenses? We don't plan on buying any expensive items but when I look at the cost of the tour, modest shopping with some liquor purchases, and the cost of 6 at Orient beach for chairs, lunch and possibly jet ski rental, it does add up in a hurry! Any advice on how much cash I should be prepared to have with me and where I can or should use credit cards in St. Martin? Thanks!

Touring St. Martin with Joyce Prince off Allure of the Seas. There are 6 of us. She prefers cash payment which is fine with me. I will need about $500.00 to cover the cost of the tour with Joyce inclusive of a tip. Do plan on some shopping in Phillipsburg and Marigot and then Orient beach for lunch and several hours of sun and sand. It seems from these boards that most of the places on Orient beach take cash only. Do I need to be prepared to take over $1000.00 to cover expenses? We don't plan on buying any expensive items but when I look at the cost of the tour, modest shopping with some liquor purchases, and the cost of 6 at Orient beach for chairs, lunch and possibly jet ski rental, it does add up in a hurry! Any advice on how much cash I should be prepared to have with me and where I can or should use credit cards in St. Martin? Thanks!

I would think that chairs/umbrellas would cost about $10 each plus about $15 pp for lunch which would bring the total to $650. Are drinks included? Jet ski's go for $40 to $50 for 30 minutes usually. You need cash for the beach and credit cards will work at the stores in Philipsburg and Marigot. Perhaps Joyce will take traveler's checks as they are accepted as cash in most stores and restaurants in St.Maarten/St.Martin and are safer to travel with on the ship and on the island.

Archived