Travelers Checks

Go9ersjrh

My husband went to the bank today to get travelers checks. The bank convinced him that he didn't want them and that no one would take them. My plan was to cash them on the ship and turn them into FP francs to pay for our independent excursions that want to be paid in cash.

I can call PG on Monday to verify that we can exchange travelers checks in dollars into FP francs. Am I missing something? Is there a better way to do this? I know that I could use my ATM card, but that means that I have to find an ATM and there is usually a charge associated with it. I also don't think that I can use my mastercard to charge for cash on the ship.

I know that you all will have the answer.

When we were on PG last time, it was under Regent. They did take traveler's checks. But, that is about the only place that will if they still do. I obtained XPF here so I don't have to later.

We have sailed five times in the Gauguin, and never have we needed anything but our credit card and American dollars. On the rare occasion when we took an excursion independently from the ship, we paid in $$ and there was no problem. We charged rental cars on our credit card, and any purchases made in local shops. There are local handicrafts sold on the motus - they happily take American dollars. Travelers Checks do seem to be a thing of the past.

:D:D

We were in Tahiti on Princess 5 years ago.....going bank on the PG this Dec. Did an independent tour on Bora Bora....Lovely young woman giving tours of the island...4 people vehicle...she took amer. dollars...also tried to buy a necklace at a stand....woman didn't want francs....only wanted "Ten Dollar". We never needed francs. I would suggest just using cash for a small amt of francs. Used ours for tips.

Archived