Oasis 5/28-6/4/11 - rants, raves & ramblings, a review

scopewest - You're welcome, and thank you!

renebfl - Spacey was something else wasn't he?! We never did get the chance to ride in the Rising Tide Bar. I passed it every evening when I brought DGS back from his club but children aren't allowed after 10 pm. Oooh, he would have been so jealous if I had gone on it and left him to watch. It was on both of our "To Do" lists. Maybe someday on the Allure...

Cruz-On - :D You'll love her!

Spendarella - You're very welcome!

~ Judy

Day 6 Cozumel

While storm clouds gathered on the horizon, bright sunshine won out for most of the day at Cozumel where the beautiful turquoise waters greeted us.

cozumel-pano1.jpg

We’ve been here a few times before so, rather than any excursions, we stayed on board until the afternoon and enjoyed a rather empty ship. I didn’t get to take advantage of the empty solarium, other than to take pictures, but DGS and I enjoyed being the only ones in the H2O pool and the Sports Pool at the time. For adults who haven’t given the H2O pool a try, think donut shaped lazy river ride – the current will carry you around in a circle. It is really neat, especially when you have it to yourself!

solarium1.jpg

solarium2.jpg

solarium3.jpg

pool1.jpg

h2o-2.jpg

Tried to grab an early lunch at the Solarium Bistro but it was closed and a crewmember told me it wouldn’t open until 12:30. So I headed up to the WJ to grab some lunch and bring it down to a table by the Pool Bar. Spied grouper but the tray was empty. When I didn't find anything more interesting, I asked a crewmember and he immediately put up a new tray of grouper. A line formed instantly behind me with people thanking me. LOL! The grouper was pretty good and was followed by yet another self-serve ice cream cone, also pretty good.

Some people started coming back onboard and DGS had fun playing with kids as they showed up in the H2O zone. At 1:30, we went ashore for a couple of hours to do some shopping and walk around.

~ Judy

(Coming up ... Chops and more)

Judy, GREAT review!!! Your pictures are great and your DGS looks so handsome in his tux!!!!

Hey, Pam! I thought you might be reading this as well....LOL

Barb

Hey Barb, you know if it says "Oasis review with pics" I'm all over it!! It hurts, but I can't stop! lol

Judy, thanks for the pics of the solarium! I see myself spending a lot of time there!

The mini lazy river does sounds fun. Do you or anyone have a picture of it? It would have been neat if they had lazy river going around most of the deck 15 and then you wouldn't have to walk :-)

That really stinks about the helmets. I was looking forward to skating since i took lessons in my younger years but don't what to wear a helmet.

We were on your cruise and it was a shame about the weather, but we still had a blast!! You all look so nice for formal nite. Wasn't Spacey great? Your pix turned out much better than mine did. You did a great job! The review is bringing back very fond memories. Does not seem like a week since we disembarked. Great review!!!

fairweather, 01Sweetpea, FloGaleRNTX, WeLove2CruiseRCI, will work to cruise, chazg, and anyone I may have missed - Thank you for the kind words and compliments. WeLove2CruiseRCI, I was just like you before my Oasis cruise - heck, I still am! I love to read reviews and look at pictures and dream of cruising. Here's wishing you all great cruises!

The mini lazy river does sounds fun. Do you or anyone have a picture of it? It would have been neat if they had lazy river going around most of the deck 15 and then you wouldn't have to walk :-)

That really stinks about the helmets. I was looking forward to skating since i took lessons in my younger years but don't what to wear a helmet.

Cruiseoholic000 - The H2O pool (mini lazy river) is the last picture in my post #53 above, the one with my DGS in it where he is pushing himself up. It has a pretty good current to it but will only take you in circles. I like your idea much better! :D I remember back when Oasis was Project Genesis and everyone was hoping for a lazy river. Too bad. :(

As for the helmet, I'm not sure if this is something you can get them to waive. I don't think they would do it in open sessions, when beginners are on the ice and might fall into you. All the sessions DGS went to everyone I saw wore helmets. They did have advanced skating sessions, open to those with their own skates but I never attended those.

We were on your cruise and it was a shame about the weather, but we still had a blast!! You all look so nice for formal nite. Wasn't Spacey great? Your pix turned out much better than mine did. You did a great job! The review is bringing back very fond memories. Does not seem like a week since we disembarked. Great review!!!

Thanks. I am enjoying reliving our cruise through this review. It's a shame I didn't meet up with you and your friend renebfl. You both sound like you would be fun to be around!

~ Judy

Edited by FloridaPalms

Day 6 continued

Back on board, we headed to the zip line 15 minutes before its scheduled 4:00 opening. Just a few people were in front of DGS and me and this was to be our first time ever doing a zip line. But black thunderclouds were moving in and the zip line staff informed us they would have to close if it rains and don’t reopen until 15 minutes after it stops. Sure enough, it started to sprinkle and they gave us rain passes to bypass the line when it reopens. From the looks of the sky, I didn’t think it would be anytime soon and we had a 5:30 reservation at Chops. But the sprinkles stopped and the rain held off. Next thing DGS and I were putting on our harnesses. I was very impressed by the zip line crew. Everyone one of them was super friendly and very professional. DGS stepped off the platform and then it was my turn.

I ZIP LINED!!! AT SEA!!!

zipline-j.jpg

Okay, I know it’s not a big zip line. But for someone who used to be afraid of heights and wouldn't go on a roller coaster until I was 50 (figured at that age, what the heck), doing my first zip line a week after my 60th BD was quite a rush! (Hmmm, I wonder what I'll take up when I'm 70...)

Dinner was at Chops Grille. Maybe RCCL has been reading some of the reviews about the lackluster service because our waiter was extremely attentive. The only thing was when I mentioned I couldn’t decide between the Dungeness Crab and Shrimp Cake or the Oysters Duet (Chops’ new menu) and asked for his suggestion, our waiter said the Crab Cake!! Wait! Wasn’t he supposed to say “I’ll bring you BOTH!”???!! :p Just kidding. The crab cake was delicious. DH and DGS had shrimp cocktail which were wonderfully presented and probably 4 times the size of MDR shrimp but were declared tough and tasteless. I had the Chops Signature Salad and DGS had Caesar salad, both nice. Boring but we all had the Petit Filet Mignon, which was excellent. DH and I had it with roasted potatoes with prosciutto and parmesan (surprisingly served family style) and DGS with a rock salt baked potato the size of Idaho! That thing was huge and they said it was a baby one! DGS headed up to his club while DH and I lingered over dessert – red velvet cake for him and mud pie for me. Very delicious! Sorry for this tease, really, I mean it, really, I'm sorry:

mudpie.jpg

I caught the 8:15 water fountain show at the Aquatheater. I loved watching the Bellagio fountains in Las Vegas. This was very nice but I would imagine the light effects would be really impressive at the 10:45 show. Try to catch one of the later shows if you can.

fountainshow1.jpg

DH's back really bothered him as the week went on so I went to a lot of the venues by myself or just with DGS. I had reservations for the adults only 10:30 Comedy Show so I let DGS stay for the Late Night Party Zone at Adventure Ocean (only $6 per hour) and headed over by myself to Comedy Live. Simeon was the host and Robbie Printz and Basile were the comics. It was a good show but Robbie Printz was really good! My face hurt from laughing so much! This same show is repeated several times during the week. Do pre-book your reservations for it. Comedy Live is a very small venue and while some standby made it in tonight, their seats were not the best in the house or even together.

comedylive.jpg

As the comedy show ended, Simeon pointed out that The Quest was about to begin next door in Studio B. I went and took a seat in the last row and watched it for just a little while, enjoying the antics of Richard Spacey. He pledged they would be asking for more unique things and would disqualify anyone who resorted to removing items from shopping bags.

SPACEYMANIA!

spacey3.jpg

Richard “Hulk Hogan” Spacey

Coming soon - Day 7 and some final thoughts

~ Judy

WeLove2CruiseRCI, I was just like you before my Oasis cruise - heck, I still am! I love to read reviews and look at pictures and dream of cruising. Here's wishing you all great cruises!

Thanks Judy! At least I know I'm not the only one that can't get enough of reading or seeing pics on the Oasis before our cruise!

Familygoboston - Thanks, it is. I'm a bargain hunter also. Problem was, last August when I was planning this year's cruise, the prices were sky high for ALL the ships! :eek: Then I spied a price drop on this May 28th cruise (and DGS's school let out May 25th). It was $1500 cheaper than same Oasis western sailing in June. It was, at least at the time, even cheaper than May 29th Freedom western sailing. The clincher was a D4 3rd person rate of (only!) $699 (remember, I'm used to paying PEAK sailing time prices). The icing on the cake came prior to final payment when a senior discount reduced the total by almost $500 and lowered the 3rd person to $583. So my advice to everyone is to keep checking prices, you never know.

~ Judy

Judy - what a great review! We were also on this cruise and it is bringing back so many memories!

We had the same experience with booking. We booked last May, and wanted Oasis, but were needing 2 cabins and just couldn't justify the $$ for Oasis, so booked the May 29 FOS sailing. We loved FOS when we were on her back in 2006, but I have to say it was a bit of a disappointment not to be able to book Oasis. I watched religiously for a price drop and was absolutely thrilled when it came out on Oasis, and we also got the senior discount! That was the fastest phone call I ever made!!

We were on same deck as you - in cabins 6592 & 6594. In fact I saw you and your family one evening in the area near the elevators/stairway (I was on the Roll Call thread, so recognized you all from the pictures in your signature) , but too crowded to catch up to you to say hello. (I wasn't very active in the roll call this trip.)

We were celebrating college graduations for DS-23 and his girlfriend. Our other DS-25 was also with us. They had such a great time. We all did!

Agree with you about Falmouth. We usually do independent excursions, but ended up doing the river tubing with RCI instead, as I was just too nervous about being delayed getting back to the ship.

Small world - we also had Rose in the MDR!! Table 557 @ 6:00 seating. Wasn't she just wonderful. So friendly and attentive. DH has celiac and needs gluten & wheat free diet. He tried to "cheat" a few times and she was right on him each time he tried!! She was great with the kids, too. I had requested a table for 5 by the window when I booked, and also sent an email to rci dining with the request. Was nicely surprised when I found out our request had been honored!

I look forward to the rest of your review!:)

Hi Judy

I have been an avid follower of your reviews. Really enjoying them as our family will be on the Oasis for the first time on June 25th. Quick question, you referred to Simeon in the above review. Do you mean Simeon Baker? He was our CD on Jewel of the Seas in March. He was great. Is he now on the Oasis? Love to hear from you. thanks

Judy - what a great review! We were also on this cruise and it is bringing back so many memories!

We were on same deck as you - in cabins 6592 & 6594. In fact I saw you and your family one evening in the area near the elevators/stairway (I was on the Roll Call thread, so recognized you all from the pictures in your signature) , but too crowded to catch up to you to say hello. (I wasn't very active in the roll call this trip.)

Small world - we also had Rose in the MDR!! Table 557 @ 6:00 seating. Wasn't she just wonderful. So friendly and attentive. DH has celiac and needs gluten & wheat free diet. He tried to "cheat" a few times and she was right on him each time he tried!! She was great with the kids, too. I had requested a table for 5 by the window when I booked, and also sent an email to rci dining with the request. Was nicely surprised when I found out our request had been honored!

I look forward to the rest of your review!:)

Thank you. Small world indeed. Since we were at 556 at 6:00, you must have been right behind us. It was nice that they accomodated emailed dining requests like both of ours and it seemed that area was mostly filled with families at their own table(s).

Hi Judy

I have been an avid follower of your reviews. Really enjoying them as our family will be on the Oasis for the first time on June 25th. Quick question, you referred to Simeon in the above review. Do you mean Simeon Baker? He was our CD on Jewel of the Seas in March. He was great. Is he now on the Oasis? Love to hear from you. thanks

Thank you, and Noooo! Totally different guy. He pronounced his name as "Sim-ee-n" and is rather roly-poly (like TweedleDee/TweedleDum). Does some good impersonations. He also hosted the Improv show and is an understudy for the mother role in Hairspray. Here are some web shots I found of the two. We had Simeon Baker as CD on Navigator. Not Richard Spacey but not bad at all.

451.jpg

2642121310077959744S500x500Q85.jpg

~ Judy

Edited by FloridaPalms

Thank you. Small world indeed. Since we were at 556 at 6:00, you must have been right behind us. It was nice that they accomodated emailed dining requests like both of ours and it seemed that area was mostly filled with families at their own table(s).

~ Judy

I wish I had paid better attention! I remember the table in front of me (as I was sitting) was a family of 4 with 2 sons around the ages of ours, and the table to my left had a couple of sons and a daughter with beautiful red hair. (I'm partial to redheads - DH and DS-25 are both redheads! Well.....DH is bald but what little is left is red!!!)You must have been right behind my chair! If I had paid better attention I would have said hello and introduced myself from the roll call!

We also enjoyed talking with the "booze guy" as he called himself (in the MDR) - I can't remember his name. He was from the Philipines, like Rose. This was the best MDR experience we had to date on a cruise, and we wrote that on our comment card. Our stateroom attendent Mark was also terriffic - all around Oasis was just a geat cruise for us (with the exception of the weather as you mentioned, on a few days!)

Silly question - I noticed that there are a lot of comedy events - 2 or 3 a night, all week long. Are they all the same show? I'm just wondering if we should plan on going to more than one if there are different comics/acts - but if you say it's a small venue then maybe that's why there are so many of them.

And also, does anyone have any information on the Quest thing? I keep seeing it mentioned but don't really know what it is exactly.

Silly question - I noticed that there are a lot of comedy events - 2 or 3 a night, all week long. Are they all the same show? I'm just wondering if we should plan on going to more than one if there are different comics/acts - but if you say it's a small venue then maybe that's why there are so many of them.

And also, does anyone have any information on the Quest thing? I keep seeing it mentioned but don't really know what it is exactly.

We were on this same cruise. The comedy show is the same show all week. It is small and you need to make your reservations on-line or it is very hard to get in. Great show!