Getting around Rome

rsingleton

I'll be in Rome one day from port and was wondering do I need to get Ho Ho bus to get around conveniently. I read a lot of the sites are close to each other and that between walking and a short train ride or two I can get to all major things. Is this correct, or should I get a HoHo ticket and plan to get around that way.

We are DIY and first time in Rome

I'll be in Rome one day from port and was wondering do I need to get Ho Ho bus to get around conveniently. I read a lot of the sites are close to each other and that between walking and a short train ride or two I can get to all major things. Is this correct, or should I get a HoHo ticket and plan to get around that way.

We are DIY and first time in Rome

If you don't have mobility issues, I would recommend walking rather than taking the HOHO buses. Walking between most of the sites in the historic center is relatively quick and I find it more enjoyable as you can stop and browse if something catches your eye. The only part of Rome that is not reached as conveniently is the Vatican, so people usually either start or end their day there. (You can get there by taxi or public transportation.) There is a lot of info on these boards re: suggested itineraries for a day in Rome if you do a search.

The thing to keep in mind with the HOHO buses is that they have changed their itineraries this year and only make about half as many stops as they previously did. Another drawback is that any time you may save riding the bus (and even this is questionable, given the traffic in Rome; I've often passed HOHO buses on foot while they are stuck in traffic ;)), can get eaten up waiting for another bus to arrive and carry you onward.

This is based on my own experience. Some seem to like using the HOHO buses....

Will you be in Rome when it is hot? If so, since you only have a port day, I recommend taking taxis to the sites that are farther apart. You can also take buses, but that might be confusing and waste precious time if you've never done it before.

Also, if you have a BIRG ticket, you can use any public bus and it is included. We usually walk most of Rome, but have caught #64 from Vittorio Emmanuel II near the Pantheon to the Vatican, which saved us a bit of a walk.

We walk most of the time, but as others have said one or two sites are better reached by other means :D

We found the taxis to be plentiful and just not that expensive. When you figure you only have X amount of time, spend the $ and enjoy.

Especially with two or three people, you'll spend a lot less using a couple of cabs for the longer walks vs. the cost of a HOHO bus. You'll also save lots of time, since you'd be going directly from point A to point B, without waiting for a bus to arrive or making stops along the way.

Archived