20 yr. anniversary - Hurricane Bob - M/S Nordic Prince

This is for the memorable sailing on the M/S Nordic Prince in August of 1991. I was on that ship, and have a ton of memories from it. Most of the 12 hours in the hurricane for me were spent laying down in an outside cabin with a bucket. I've never been that sick in my life.

We're coming up on it's 20 year anniversary. Hooray for all those on board, and even more to those who took the free cruise to follow.

Here's a link to a facebook page for this with pictures:

http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=123126751043836

This is for the memorable sailing on the M/S Nordic Prince in August of 1991. I was on that ship, and have a ton of memories from it. Most of the 12 hours in the hurricane for me were spent laying down in an outside cabin with a bucket. I've never been that sick in my life.

We're coming up on it's 20 year anniversary. Hooray for all those on board, and even more to those who took the free cruise to follow.

Here's a link to a facebook page for this with pictures:

http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=123126751043836

Wow, what an amazing story and awesome pictures. Thanks for sharing.

• 2 years later...
Wow, what an amazing story and awesome pictures. Thanks for sharing.

My brother and I were talking about cruises that we were on, and started to look for pictures of the ship. I had just graduated high school, and was on this cruise.

There were some really scary moments.

We were lucky enough to have gone on several cruises before this. To the many people where this was their first cruise, I'm sure that it was also their last.

I recall there being another ship in port that made the decision to not leave port that day.

Our captain felt comfortable that he could go around this storm. He was terribly mistaken.

There was press waiting in Bermuda when we arrived.

They told us that an SOS was sent out, and that the ship was only a few degrees from capsizing.

I have to find my pictures, but there were slot machines that were ripped out, glass was shattered up and down the staircases, the pursers area looked like the bowery. People left their cabins, because furniture wasn't bolted down (at least not all of it), making it a death trap.

We had an outside cabin (I don't recall there being a balcony concept back then). I remember looking outside the window like we were in a glass bottom boat, peering into the ocean.

The waves crashed high onto the decks of the ship.

We did take advantage of the free cruise, and had a fantastic time.

I've been on many cruises since, and can still say that I'm loyal to royal.

Archived