Turtle Farm - worth it?

junebug8

Just recently booked the Liberty for next summer (Western). We want to do the stringrays but I'm also considering adding on the turtles. This means we do the Carnival excursion or Capt.Marvins (close in price). I was wondering if the turtle farm is worth it. Now, I LOVE turtles but not sure if we should just do the stringrays with Moby Dick and skip the turtles. BTW my DS's are 18 and 16 so they won't mind either way. (I still regret not going to the seahorse farm in Hawaii and don't want to feel the same about this). Not interested in going to hell :eek: but I know it's one of the stops on the longer excursions. TIA.

Just my opinion, but my family did not like the turtle farm at all. It was huge, and overcrowded, and they are actually raising turtles for food there. They will not tell you this, and they make it sound like a sanctuary, but when you ask, some of the guides will tell you that it is for food. Kids got to hold baby turtles, which was cool, but not worth the time, in my opinion and theirs. When you go to the restaurant, you can actually order turtle soup there! :eek:

We also went, the turtle farm was just so-so...however, the view across the street of the ocean was incredible. The waves come crashing up along a rugged shoreline and it was magnificient! The dophin encounter is also right there along with the rum cake factory. We got some great pictures there.:)

we actually really enjoyed the turtle farm. I traveled with my dh, 2 adult sons and a 2.5 yr old. Its not something that's going to take hours and hours but for 45 mins or so, its fun. My older son bought some turtle soup at the little cafe there. I had a bite too, it was ok. I guess it depends on your comfort level. Turtles are neat animals but they're also food for a lot of people. It didn't bother me.

The beach across the street is awesome! I think on our next trip we're going to do stingrays, then go see the turtles then head to the beach.

Yes, I loved the Turtle Farm! You can go through the Farm and see all the different aged turtles, they have an education center, and you can ask questions - they will tell you that they have turtle on the menu, they don't hide it.

They also have a bird house that was fun, they have a big pool, even a shark pool, and a pool where you can snorkel and sea the turtles swimming in the water. Big variety of things to do there, but holding the baby turtles was by far one of the best things I have done on a tour!

Yes, I loved the Turtle Farm! You can go through the Farm and see all the different aged turtles, they have an education center, and you can ask questions - they will tell you that they have turtle on the menu, they don't hide it.

They also have a bird house that was fun, they have a big pool, even a shark pool, and a pool where you can snorkel and sea the turtles swimming in the water. Big variety of things to do there, but holding the baby turtles was by far one of the best things I have done on a tour!

huh, I never saw the bird house, the shark pool or a place where you could snorkel. I think we'll need to make another visit.

susan

• 2 weeks later...

I really, really didn't enjoy the turtle farm. I understand that creatures are raised for food and other types of things but I didn't really enjoy going to see where they were being raised to accomplish the end result.

I think the beaches in the Caymans are beautiful and I enjoy just hanging out in town and eating and enjoying the view.

Did the Turtle Farm this past January with my SIL who loves turtles. Our tour guide was an older woman who was bored and rushed us through the facility. Then we couldn't find her to get back on the bus and get out of there. It was not worth the cost of the trip. She stopped at several friends crafts places and encourged us to buy. It was a ship booked trip and I felt I should have had my money returned.

We have done the turtle farm twice. The first time was through Carnival. We were dumped out and told we had 45 minutes to check it out. There was no guide to tell us anything.

The second time we didn't want to go to the turtle farm but it was part of the tour. This second time was through Captain Marvin. What a difference!!! The driver/guide took us through the whole place and gave us a wonderful tour. BTW, not all the turtles are raised for food. They also have a program where they release them as well.

Our guide was so good and informative that people who did not have one(probably from the Carnival tour) followed around with us.

He would pick up the turtles and hand them to us for pics.

I would definitely go with Capt. Marvin. There was just no comparison.

I Agree. We went with Capt. Marvin's tour. Our tour guide was Andrew, from Jamaica. All in all a great time. My 2 year old son absolutely loved it, as did my wife!

The other tours there were latching on to our tour and trying to butt into our groups, it was kind of lame. People get so crazed some times. Our tour guide was letting our group pet a big turtle he was holding, i had people trying to push over my 2 year old to get to him that weren't even in our group. Enough so that i had to push back and say something...they just had a blank look in their eyes.

I would still highly recommend it, but only on a Capt. Marvin's tour.

Here are some pictures:

199.jpg

208.jpg

I think it all depends on what you like!

Stingray City was amazing, but out of the 4 of us, only me and my oldest DS (13) are strong swimmers. DH and DS (9) are not, and my DH really can't swim at all.

My youngest LOVES turtles. At least once a week, he asks us if we can get a turtle as a pet (someday.. I will get him a tortoise, someday!). He loved it there, but personally I don't think the tour with other things gave us enough time there.

This year in the Cayman's we are going to the Turtle Farm/Boatswain Beach combo, mainly because it does give you the opportunity to swim with the turtles.

I am still debating doing just the Sting Ray/Turtle Farm excursion, but it is the same time length as just the Turtle Farm. Now I am not worried about having a Guide with us at the Turtle Farm, we have been there before, but I DO want to make sure my kids have enough time to swim with the turtles and get underwater pictures of the sharks.

If you already are afraid you might regret not going, then you will! Most of the tours just add on 45 mins or so at the Turtle Farm which is plenty to look around at the turtles and such if you really aren't that into turtles. I will agree.. the other stops are.. eh. We did get really nice pictures at one of the stops, but Hell, Rum Cake Factory, the houses, just aren't our cup of tea, other than Hell has a lot of iguana's hanging around.

Archived