Cave Tubing with a Senior

Kryssa

Hi All,

My family is planning a Carnival Dream cruise in March that stops in Belize. My family wants to do a cave tubing excursion and we are going to book something independently.

I originally assumed my 78 year old Grandma would just stay back on the ship, but she is interested in joining us. She is healthy and gets around own her own pretty well.

Has anyone done this excursion with an older person? Is the 30-45 min walk on pretty level terrain? Any tips?

I would say she would be fine if she is used to walking and has good balance. We just got back today. The day we went last week was awesome - very warm, but heavy downpours cooled us off. The rain made the trail muddy and very slippy in spots. There are also rocky areas and tree roots - lots to trip on if not careful. If she decides to go - DEFINATELY book with .bz - they will give your family your own guide who will go at your pace. I wouldn't want a large group rushing you.

The guide will stay with her too. DW and I are 61 and the guides told us we were some of the oldest folks that do this. The hike isn't strenuous, but the footing can be tricky in spaces due to rocks and roots. You have to cross the river but one crossing is very shallow and the other has a rope guide. You have to carry your tube and that can be burdensome because of its bulk.

But so long as your grandma is physically agile, she should be okay.

If you use NCQ Advenures, Nacho and Cynthia will usually stay at the main area by the parking lot there and he's an interesting guy to chat with.

Archived