Allure Trip Journal with Pics - June 5-12/11 (Solo!)

My overall impressions of the Allure and sailing solo:

I had a wonderful cruise and could not have chosen a better ship! I had been dreaming about sailing on the Oasis or Allure for a couple years since the Oasis was being built, and it was nice to finally do it! It was a great ship for a solo traveller since there were so many activities to do and places to go to keep me busy, however I DO see why many prefer to sail solo on smaller ships in order to more easily keep in contact with the people they meet.

The Allure succeeded at WOWing me, and I have been raving to my friends and family since I got back, telling them that they HAVE to sail on this amazing ship!

Hi. I absolutely loved all your pics and the amazing review of the Allure. I am sailing her on Sept 4th Labor Day week. I cannot wait. My CC group is pretty lively and a fun bunch of cruisers. We have a name for our group and we are called the: Hurricane Dodgers. I cannot believe the clarity of all your pics. Loved that camera. Was that a throw away disposable one?? also I wanted to tell you that having sailed on the Oasis last year in Aug to the western Caribbean I too experienced an awful amount of heat and no breeze especially in Labadee and Cozumel. It was 118 in labadee and 105 degrees in Cozumel. I could not take it for long periods of time. It was unveriable. So thats why I chose the eastern carib on Allure this time and in Sept. Hopefully it wont be so hot. Anyway, thank again. Truly enjoyed the review and pics.

Lisa

Great posts and pictures - I too will be on Allure on July 10 cruise as a solo so I appreciate your solo perspective. I have gone on several cruises as a solo and this by far is the largest ship. I chose Allure was for the entertainment and dining options - I may never get off the ship!

I will be on the Allure 2 weeks from today, and after reading your fabulous review/blog and seeing all of those gorgeous photos, I cannot wait!

I would love to find out the MDR menus prior to embarking though so that I can pick a night for our birthday celebration in one of the specialty restaurants.

If anyone has copies of the recent menus on the 7 night eastern cruise, please let me know.

Newbie - you really outdid yourself with your postings. I rarely read message boards, but I read all 8 pages of yours. Thanks again!

My apologies, I didn't take pictures of the menus as I felt weird enough taking pictures of my food! LOL! The best menu of the week IMHO though (and this has been a recurring theme on all of my cruises) was Venetian night, which was night 3 on the Western itinerary - not sure if they're in the same order on the Eastern though.

Hi. I absolutely loved all your pics and the amazing review of the Allure. I am sailing her on Sept 4th Labor Day week. I cannot wait. My CC group is pretty lively and a fun bunch of cruisers. We have a name for our group and we are called the: Hurricane Dodgers. I cannot believe the clarity of all your pics. Loved that camera. Was that a throw away disposable one?? also I wanted to tell you that having sailed on the Oasis last year in Aug to the western Caribbean I too experienced an awful amount of heat and no breeze especially in Labadee and Cozumel. It was 118 in labadee and 105 degrees in Cozumel. I could not take it for long periods of time. It was unveriable. So thats why I chose the eastern carib on Allure this time and in Sept. Hopefully it wont be so hot. Anyway, thank again. Truly enjoyed the review and pics.

Lisa

Hi Lisa,

Thanks for the reply. I hope that you are able to dodge any hurricanes! LOL! The heat was unbelievable - I think if I ever book a Caribbean cruise in the summer again, it'll be an Eastern one (although I'd LOVE to do Alaska next if I cruise in the summer again!). I definitely preferred the weather on my winter cruises though. No, my camera was not a disposable - it's a 10 megapixel Fujifilm waterproof digital camera.

Great posts and pictures - I too will be on Allure on July 10 cruise as a solo so I appreciate your solo perspective. I have gone on several cruises as a solo and this by far is the largest ship. I chose Allure was for the entertainment and dining options - I may never get off the ship!

Verna,

Have a wonderful cruise on the Allure! :) Having done multiple solo cruises already, you probably have a good take on things so you'll be able to just go with the flow and enjoy it! You will love the entertainment and dining options as well. I still didn't find the food quality to be 100%, although the variety of options helps make up for that. Be sure to touch base after and let us know how you liked the ship!

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks so much for taking the time to post all your impressions along with all the great photos. We are really looking forward to seeing this ship. The shows look fantastic! We don't do the extra fee restaurants, so the price increases don't affect me except confirm that we won't be going. We always find something to eat and this ship has so many places to choose from. Really looking forward to this cruise!!!!

Thanks for the wonderful pictures. Also, loved the detail and the menu for the character breakfast looks good. Learned some stuff, I didn't know. Glad you had a great time.

I will post my own review soon. Thanks again for all of your photos and tips- I had a great time! I did meet people at bars and events, still ate the vast majority of my meals solo. If I wanted to be alone, I was alone. Never made it to MDR for dinner - I ate at speciality restaurants most nights. There were a couple of times I thought I was crazy for being on a ship with 6300 passengers (including over 2000 kids...) but most of the time I did not have the sense there were that many people.

Newbie! What a strong and independent woman you are! I didn't marry until I was 35 and DH was 34. We both understand going alone at times.

There will be no regrets at all in hind sight of your adventures. When you marry, it is not all about you any more and other are brought into consideration, especially with kids, so enjoy this time of spending time and money the way you want to!

Anyway, I enjoyed your review and so happy that you got such a cool upgrade on your room! What funny was that!

What is funny is I am sure there were plenty of other solos on that ship that would have been glad to even just get a group together to hang.

The Love and Marriage show was at 10:30 and was packed. I managed to find a seat and enjoyed it. I’m not a huge fan of Ken Rush, but he did a great job keeping the audience laughing, as did the participating couples.

Before turning in for the night, I walked around the ship’s upper deck, boardwalk, and central park to take some night-time pictures.

I loved the hanging art in the elevator lobbies:

254245_857351390501_172001519_43763010_137984_n.jpg

These are so pretty!

Thanks for writing such a detailed review. My husband and I are heading out on Aug.14. We usually cruise Princess or Celebrity, but decided to give the mega-ship a try. Certainly looks like we won't be disappointed. :)

I know Johnny Rockets has a cover charge for burgers and fries, do they charge for breakfast?

In your opinion, did you prefer the Windjammer for dinners over the MDR?

Thanks!

Anita

Archived