Getting around St. Thomas

bangzoom6877

Is there safe reliable public transportation in St. Thomas? Buses or ferries would be great, if anyone has any info. We will have a 15-month-old with us, and no carseat. We don't wanna do any tours. Trying to keep cost at a minimum but still enjoy this port of call. Also, what is there to do right near the ship? I went to St. Thomas before, but I have not been there in 9 years. I just remember the shopping. But we wanna go to Meagan's Bay beach also, is there transportation to take us there?

• 2 weeks later...

Hello,

The tours mentioned are by taxi... in a safari bus. Its an open air taxi, no seat belts, bench seating in a covered truck bed.

Are you opposed to taking your baby in a taxi without a car seat or are you guessing they won't allow it? I am not sure about the latter; haven't heard that restriction. Car seats are the law and so are seat belts... but the safari taxi buses don't have seat belts so there seems to be some exception with the taxis. I am not sure though. In any case if you can take a taxi -go far a closed van with seat belts if you want the security and take it to Magens Bay for a few hours. If you don't want to take a taxi at all then your options are restricted to walking around Havensight (if that's where you are docked), walking to town (30 minutes), taking the Tram up to Paradise Point ($16 per adult).

PS. The web link is http://www.***** (not .net).

--Islander

Archived