Pearl to Alaska June 5th Review, We Love NCL!!

I better not let my H read this, we are booked on this cruise in September and he is prone to seasickness on small ships, no experience of cruises yet but rather concerned he'll get totally sick. I keep telling him I'm sure it won't be too rough...

I better not let my H read this, we are booked on this cruise in September and he is prone to seasickness on small ships, no experience of cruises yet but rather concerned he'll get totally sick. I keep telling him I'm sure it won't be too rough...
In general, the seas are not too bad although as noted, since the Pearl does go into the Pacific both going typically (this cruise is the only one in the last 2 years it went to the east) and returning, these sections can get choppy. It is not really the same as a small boat, you don't get tht moving horizon feeling, and the ships can handle much larger seas before being noticeable. We did 2 trips on the Pearl and first was reasonably smooth, but in May 2010, the trip north was rocky and you could tell some people were affected.

I have almost 30 time lapse videos of the Pearl if you want to get a general feel of what to expect

http://www.youtube.com/user/InternetAgeTraveler#g/u

Thanks for your review. We were on the Pearl last August to Alaska and we all loved the cruise. I wrote an exceptionally long review and it is around here on the boards somewhere.

We will be returning to Alaska soon but first we will be going on the Gem in a few weeks. We will also be sailing in the 2 Bedroom/2 bathroom suite like you did. It is our favorite cabin and we try to get one every time we sail if we can.

Enjoyed the review! We also sailed on the Pearl to Alaska in a 2 bedroom suite back in 2008. I totally agree - when it comes to NCL's suite life, they do it better than any other major cruise line. My only problem is, having experienced the suite life, I'm too spoiled to settle for anything less on NCL now.

jimswims and indimini, thanks and I couldn't agree more! The suite life is where it's at...just the DW and I on the next trip so we got the SF aft-facing Penthouse for the April cruise. Couldn't see spending the extra $$ for just the two of us on the 2Bdr. And the FCC we bought covered the full deposit.

jimswims and indimini, thanks and I couldn't agree more! The suite life is where it's at...just the DW and I on the next trip so we got the SF aft-facing Penthouse for the April cruise. Couldn't see spending the extra $$ for just the two of us on the 2Bdr. And the FCC we bought covered the full deposit.

Are you talking about the ones on Deck 10 that have the huge balconies that overlook the stern/wake? Those are great cabins too. We were in the Deck 10 Balcony next to them when we went to Alaska last year (could not afford the suite with the airfares/excursions).

Enjoy!

Are you talking about the ones on Deck 10 that have the huge balconies that overlook the stern/wake? Those are great cabins too. We were in the Deck 10 Balcony next to them when we went to Alaska last year (could not afford the suite with the airfares/excursions).

Enjoy!

Yes exactly, deck 10 Aft.

The 2BR was probably a once in a lifetime deal for us, as we can't afford to get them all the time either. As long as I can afford to at least do the SF's we will, but the kids hit college in the next couple years. We will have to take a break for a few years while we are sending them off, so we are living it up while we can!! :)

Yes exactly, deck 10 Aft.

The 2BR was probably a once in a lifetime deal for us, as we can't afford to get them all the time either. As long as I can afford to at least do the SF's we will, but the kids hit college in the next couple years. We will have to take a break for a few years while we are sending them off, so we are living it up while we can!! :)

I think that we are on the same path. This cruise in August is for our 20th Anniversary so the 2 bedroom/2bathroom suite allows us to take the kids too. We are in one of new family suites on the Star in Feb. since it is much cheaper. Then it looks like we are in cruise retirement as well as we send the kids to college. We may have to sneak a cruise in where we can drive to the port (Boston/NY) and book an inexpensive cabin for a few years.

Archived