Jewel Gym

Blair3271

OMG! I am so upset!!!! We have 3 children, and have taken 6 Disney cruises, with 2 more booked - and the gym opens at 6 or 6:30 - ALL EQUIPMENT. I have decided to try NCL this August for the Nick theme. I just found out the treadmills can not be used until a certain time. Can someone verify this? This would have been a deal-killer for me had I known. I run 8 - 10 miles a day, and get to the gym before it opens to ensure I get a treadmill. If I start my run at 8 (providing I even get a treadmill) 8 miles takes me an hour!!! I need to finish before my 3 small kids get up (my husband is in the room with them).

Sorry, some people obsess over the food. I obsess over running. Can someone tell me about the running track? Is there lots of people and obstructions? I like to keep a certain pace, and that is difficult with many people walking.... ugh.... I know.... I sound crazy!!!:(

Hi Blair,

first i have to say that i understand your fears since i'm a "sports-addict" as well and don't have a good start into the day without one hour of sports .

I just found out the treadmills can not be used until a certain time. Can someone verify this?

I'v cruised only 3 times on NCL yet (Gem), but if i remember right (i'm 99,9% sure) it was not prohibited to use the treadmills when they opened at 6:00 AM .

Can someone tell me about the running track? Is there lots of people and obstructions?
I guess it can differ a little bit from cruise to cruise, but since you want to run early in the morning you don't have to be afraid of a blocked track .

Have a nice cruise

Fredi

Thanks for the responses!! I am glad I am not the only sports-obsessed person. I think I found my answer on a cruise review. They do not allow anyone to use the treadmills from 9 am to 9 pm because of rooms below. This is such bad planning on whomever designed this ship.

Fredi, I'll try the Gem next time!!! 5 1/2 time around the track is a mile!! Talk about monotony. At least there was a tv on the treadmill.

THANKS AGAIN TO ALL!!!

Thanks for the responses!! I am glad I am not the only sports-obsessed person. I think I found my answer on a cruise review. They do not allow anyone to use the treadmills from 9 am to 9 pm because of rooms below. This is such bad planning on whomever designed this ship.

Fredi, I'll try the Gem next time!!! 5 1/2 time around the track is a mile!! Talk about monotony. At least there was a tv on the treadmill.

THANKS AGAIN TO ALL!!!

I suspect if that restriction exists you have the hours reversed. If using the treadmills were banned due to noise, their use would be prohibited from 9pm to 9am (because that's when people would be sleeping!), not during daytime hours when people are very likely not even in their cabins.

They are closed during the night because of cabins underneath. Not sure what time though but you can probably call NCL. If you're really desperate for a run you can use the outdoor track - monotonous but it gets the job done.

We were just on the 6/4 Jewel sailing and I used a treadmill and didn't see any restrictions posted. Maybe you could call NCL to verify?

The outdoor track will be empty at that time of the morning. I loved it becaus of the view but I never find the ocean boring :)

We were on the Jewel in May and you can use the treadmills after 9AM. The outdoor track was not crowed at all in the early mornings. We just opted to use the elliptical machines until the treadmills were allowed.

Definitely use the outdoor Promenade Deck or the Jogging track which wraps around Deck 13 (by Cagney's and Star Bar). The treadmills inside the gym I do believe have restricted hours for running because it pounds on the equipment which pounds on the floor and on the roof of the cabins beneath. The weight area definitely has restrictions because they don't want you dropping free weights on the floor. Those loud thuds really do wonders in the cabins beneath. I would call NCL and ask just to be sure!

We cruised the Jewel 6/11-6/18 and I did attempt to use a treadmill and found all of them off with a note saying use was restricted til after 9am. I am a walker so I chose to walk up on deck 13. There were several runners but that was between 8-9am. I'm sure there will be significantly less people if you are talking even earlier. If interested all of the ellipticals were available after 6am but in use when I checked at 8am.

Archived