Star Flyer July 9,2011 Athens to Istanbul

muskatnuss

Muskatnuss, when you arrive at the port is there somewhere to put cases if you arrive before 4pm that is secure so you can go off somewhere for a drink or walk around? As an experience cruiser I would appreciate your comment ...!

I am used to doing that. When I received my docs, they only spoke about leaving the bags at the airport on a truck - they wrote exactly where to find it - and the bags would be brought to the ship. Look in your docs. There must be a letter telling you what to do on arrival. In this letter there is information about arrival and departure. Your are arriving in Istanbul, that's why my information isn't of any help. The truck has the Star Clippers Logo on it. But you wrote that Star Clippers arranged you transfer. There shouldn't be a problem. You arrive at 13:55, when is your taxi? Or just look for the truck with the logo, and then look for your taxi. Maybe the driver knows where the truck is.....

In Pireaus there is no place to put you bags at the cruise terminal. And the baggage locker ist far from the cruise terminal. We will be taking a day tour and come at 3 p.m.

I have to be more definite. In some ports, you can leave your bags at a tent which is cared for. For instance, St. Maarten. And Tahiti. In Barbados we left our baggage in the building where we checked in. As I asked, they (Star Clippers) told me, that in Piraeus, there is no place to leave the luggage. Maybe in Instanbu...Istanbul, there is a tent, or you will be met by someone. :o. I'm sure there will be no problem. The hafen in Istanbul is not in the city.....

Hugs in advance

Hi Muskatnuss and Meldreth!

I'm live from Santorini! We had lovely on-time flights getting to Athens. We somehow mustered the energy to visit the Ancient Agora and climb the Acropolis again! We wandered the flea market and enjoyed the back streets, as our hotel was in the Psyri neighborhood. A great hotel!!! We had a dinner on a rooftop with a great view of the Acropolis. Heard about the strikes and air traffic controllers were striking for certain hours and it was going to effect our flight to Santorini. But with the hotel's help, we to rescheduled and ended up only arriving in Santorini a few hours later than we were supposed to. But not everyone was that lucky. Hearing lots of horror stories about delays. Santorini is spectacular!!!!! Not enough exclamation points to desribe the views. Heading back to my lounge chair:-) Hope to see you on July 9! And you both have a safe journey!

Pam

Muskatnuss!

I'll look for that cap! It's another sunny day in this glorious place! I don't care where you look it just takes your breath away! We leave tomorrow for Athens. Good thing I'm getting on a ship or I'd be so depressed:-)

Pam

Hi Everyone,

My brother, daughter, and I are joining up in Athens and taking the Athens-Istanbul-Athens trip. We have all been to Athens before and we're not arriving until the 8th. This will be our first trip with a Star Clippers ship. I look forward to meeting you all soon.

Paula

Hi Paula!!! Welcome to the club!! We will be in Athens from the 6th to the 9th and go on Board on the 9th. Have a good trip! I've been on the Star Clippers 3 times already. Love it. The fourth starts on the 9th of July!!!

Yes...the 712 gives it away, doesn't it! My brother and Ara will be flying into Athens from California, my daughter from Alaska, and I call the Catskill Mountains of New York my home. We meet up on the 8th and head out to sea with you on the 9th. This happened really fast, so I find it hard to believe that I'll be back in Athens next week!

Well, I'm a 714 :p . I love the Catskills, although I haven't lived in the States for 40 Years. We used to go hiking when I was in College. Haven't really been to the states since 2003.

So it's a family affair for you! Great!! You'll love it. Great people, great food, the drinks are out of this world, and the sailing is grand. Makes you feel real good :D:D.

Like I wrote, I'll be wearing an AIDA-Basecap and laughing alot. Will get back to you tomorrow at the latest.

RV

Where will you be spending the night in Athens??? We are in Electra Palace in the Plaka.

Oh!!! you are right next to the akropolis. As you have probably read, there is no place to store your luggage before boarding at about 4 pm. We will be doing a day tour from Athens to Souniou and then back up to Piraeus. We will be there about 3 pm.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Muskatnuss and Meldreth!

Wow - wasn't it fantastic! We got back very early (just after midnight this morning.) When you boarded in Athens, Mike and I were laying on loungers at the back of the Star Clipper and kept watching all the people a to look around and we kept hoping we'd see your (Muskatnuss) hat. But no luck:-)

And then we were both in Patmos! Wasn't that fun when we were sailing out together and the horns were honking!!! I kept thinking it you both were over there:-)

Pam

It most certainly was fantastic - I got a great photo of Star Clipper from my porthole when we were at Patmos..... Glad you too had a great time.

What about you 'moaning Ken'!!! (you know who you are.)

Archived