Windows XP or 7 Seminar on Cruises

Howasaur

I understand that the Windows Seminar dealt with creating a Blog (Web Page) about your trip.If this is so I also learned that Microsoft is moving from Windows Live Space to WordPress.com. Has anyone taken theses classes::):) I Plan on taking these seminars when I'm on my cruise on the Prisendam.

A year ago they were using Windows Live exclusively. The classes, back then, were fully booked (had to get there 15-20 minutes early to get a seat, Veendam March/April 2010). The classes were very well done about 20 laptop computers were available and sessions were rotated throughout the cruise. The presenter was young, well informed, and extremely patient with everyone.

Last year, these free classes had laptops using Vista as the operating system. The session I attended focused on many of the features of Vista. The have sessions with focus on different areas, such as how to upload photos, how to create a blog, etc. I've been to several and enjoyed each of them. The topics are repeated throughout the cruise.

I went to 4 computer classes on NA in April. 15 day cruise. One thing I noticed. Everybody jams there at the beginning of the cruise, lineups to get in and standing room or sitting at the back of the room..... As the cruise goes on, all classes are repeated several times during the course of the cruise, in a different order during the day every day even port days. So you will get the chance to get in easily. Also the guy has a periodic question and answer class where you can come and do your own thing, ask for help or continue what you were learning or working on. He gives handouts even to those in the overflow.

We were recently (May) back from Volendam. It was Windows 7 and Windows Live. Hanna did five or six sessions a day and as someone said repeated the 10 sessions in different orders. Two sessions a day were Techspert time when you could work on your own with her helpwhere necessary. However, you cannot access the internet on these machines so you need either your own machine to download onto or at least a memory stick.

And I found that the young woman who gave the course, while fairly knowledgable, was about the only unpleasant HAL staffer I met on our cruise. She was rushed and I thought she had a tendency to talk to passengers like they were children. Naturally, this is just my opinion. (FYI by trade I'm an IT professional with about 20 + years in the business)

And I found that the young woman who gave the course, while fairly knowledgable, was about the only unpleasant HAL staffer I met on our cruise. She was rushed and I thought she had a tendency to talk to passengers like they were children. Naturally, this is just my opinion. (FYI by trade I'm an IT professional with about 20 + years in the business)

Hi ConnCruise: I'm also a IT professional been working in the field since 1965 I understand what you are saying about the instructor but at time I also feel like I'm dealing with children, I'm going to relax learn and enjoy. I'm going on the Prinsendam Nov.27 Amazon Explorer. Take care,enjoyed reading all the comments from fellow cruisers

I just returned from 2 weeks on the Amsterdam. All the classes were on Windows 7 computers using Windows Live programs. Except for the Techspert classes the classes were related to photos - editing, storing, emailing, sharing, etc. I only attended one class and felt like the instructor didn't like the fact that I was computer savy and asked some questions that he could not answer. I think that if you went in without a knowledge of the program that he was teaching, he would give you a good foundation for using the program though. He used several of the Windows Live programs which are available since Windows 7 came out.

I should have said Windows 7 in my earlier post. I have a hard time keeping the MS operating systems straight! :o I still use XP, so Vista and Windows 7 are still pretty much figments of my imagination! COLOR]

Archived