Smoke Free Balcony?

ts636

Being a non-smoker who cannot stand being in a smoky atmosphere P & O's policy of banning smoking in all internal areas of the ship was a major factor in booking a cruise on Ventura. However having found my last cruise in an internal cabin a bit claustrophobic I quite fancied having a balcony this time, the drawback being of course that balconies are one of the few areas on board where smoking is still permitted and by all accounts smoke from neighbours balconies can become very intrusive.

I think I have the solution though. Having read P & O's smoking policy quite carefully and discovered that the outdoor smoking in public areas is restricted to the port side of the ship and on the assumption that smoke on a moving vessel will tend to drift backwards I have booked the foremost cabin on the starboard side of c deck.

Will my plan work or am I being too simplistic? :confused:

Being a non-smoker who cannot stand being in a smoky atmosphere P & O's policy of banning smoking in all internal areas of the ship was a major factor in booking a cruise on Ventura. However having found my last cruise in an internal cabin a bit claustrophobic I quite fancied having a balcony this time, the drawback being of course that balconies are one of the few areas on board where smoking is still permitted and by all accounts smoke from neighbours balconies can become very intrusive.

I think I have the solution though. Having read P & O's smoking policy quite carefully and discovered that the outdoor smoking in public areas is restricted to the port side of the ship and on the assumption that smoke on a moving vessel will tend to drift backwards I have booked the foremost cabin on the starboard side of c deck.

Will my plan work or am I being too simplistic? :confused:

I was on Aurora a few weeks ago and the smoking area,s were on the starboard side.

On Ventura last week the smoking side was starboard.

However, that policy doesn't apply to balconies anyway: that is, smoking is allowed on balconies on all sides of the ship. But when we were on Ventura in recent weeks we didn't smell any cigarette smoke when we were on our balcony.

Luck of the draw I'm afraid, if you have smokers next to you, or not...:rolleyes:

We did once, and it seemed every time we wanted to sit out he was there smoking his cigar, yuk.... other times its been ok. Try not to worry about it, not much you can do, except tut loudly! :eek: (JOKE!)

Luck of the draw I'm afraid, if you have smokers next to you, or not...:rolleyes:

Try not to worry about it, not much you can do, except tut loudly! :eek: (JOKE!)

I find a little Black Sabbath tends to clear the smokers from the balconies, especially at breakfast :D

On Ventura last week the smoking side was starboard.

However, that policy doesn't apply to balconies anyway: that is, smoking is allowed on balconies on all sides of the ship. But when we were on Ventura in recent weeks we didn't smell any cigarette smoke when we were on our balcony.

Same happened to us, we had a balcony and a smoker next door. Had to keep the door shut all the time. Maybe P&O should have a non smoking side.:)

....or follow Princess Ships lead?

Today it was announced the smoking will be banned from balconies from next January !!! Hoorah from a non-smoker, but no doubt smokers will be annoyed, especially if they have already paid extra for a balcony so they can smoke, as they can't in a inside or outside!

As P&O is under the Carnival umbrella like Princess, surely P&O will follow suit soon,? :)

Celebrity already have banned smoking on balconies, and Princess is following in their footsteps. As Sue says, it will probally not be long before other lines follow their lead.

Just hope the cruise lines provide somewhere for smokers under cover.

Richard

We were on Aurora in an outside cabin next to a balcony cabin, cigarette smoke came in from next door through the vents in the shower room. Front desk assured me this was not possible and it must be coming in off my balcony and proceeded to tell me that all the cabins on my deck had a balcony. I had to get them to accompany me to the cabin to prove that I didn't have one!

In the end they must have spoken to the occupants of the cabin next door as it did stop until the very last morning. I have asthma and ended up seeing the medics about it.

The cabin steward told us they were heavy smokers and were smoking in the cabin for the first 3 days.

We are going on Azura in October and will have a balcony, I hope we don't have smokers next door but if we do I'll just have to deal with it, I just don't want it coming in the vents inside the cabin.

Archived