Mendenhall by Lake Canoe or River Float

World Gallery

I am starting to get an understanding of all Alaska has to offer. Thanks!

OUur ship offers Mendenhall Lake Native Canoe (but states it is limited to a small # due to restrictions) and Mendenhall River Float (inflatable). Both look nice. Anyone experience with either?

I have done a lot of tours in Alaska, and rave about most of them. The Mendenhall float trip is one, I never recommend. You only get a brief distant view of Mendenhall, rest of trip is trees and backyards. For the high cost, this money is better spent elsewhere, in my opinion.

The canoe trip gets very good reviews. A third option would be to just rent kayaks, simple, and doable by most anyone.

• 2 weeks later...

Wonderful way to get close to the glacier and icebergs. We had an engaging young man at the helm (?) with large oars for steering the 12 person canoe. We got out of the canoe at a beach near a large waterfall and had snacks and took photos. This excursion cost less through HAL than through othe booking sites. It runs even if it is raining, which it was throughout our time on the water. They outfitter provides big rainboots that go over your own shoes, and waterproof rainpants. It was quite cold, and I wished I had polypropolene(?) gloves, like the guide, however, we warmed up quite a bit on the trip back.

Archived