Arctic Circle Fly/Drive Adventure

IndyBarb

We are going on the Northern Alaska Tour Company Arctic Circle/Fly Drive Adventure. We will be departing at 5:00 am from Fairbanks doing the drive portion first. Does anyone know what the sack lunch consists of if we purchase it at the Yukon River? Are there food items for purchase along the way other than the sack lunch?

Frankly, having done this tour twice, going in the other direction is much better, where you fly up and take the van back. There are NO "sack lunches" on that tour, you dine in a Yukon river, and get hot food.

With what you have purchased, you will be given a form at their office, and you order the lunch before you leave. The meals are ready when you get there. There are a lot of choices. You get to choose chips, sandwich, drink, fruit. Yes, it is from the Yukon River Camp.

There is nothing, on the Dalton "along the way".

They are going to stop in Joy at a little trading post, with very limited "gift and food" items, at mile 49 on the Elliott. That is it.

I, too, would reverse the tour. Fly up, then drive back. IF for some reason, you get delayed going Northbound driving, your tour will be cut short so you can make the plane. AND you start out with a rather boring drive north of Fairbanks for a hundred miles or so. MUCH better to do the reverse.

Coming South, it really doesn't matter if you are a few hours late. All the tours get in fairly late in the evening anyhow. You are only going to bed.

I am not sure if we can change. We are going in September and don't want to take the 1PM departure. I thought these were the only two options.

I think in September you have fewer options. Some days they do the flight first, other days they do the drive first.

Look at it this way - doing it "drive first" then flight is better than not doing it at all!

I am not sure if we can change. We are going in September and don't want to take the 1PM departure. I thought these were the only two options.

In my opinion and first hand experience, you are making a mistake with this tour. First off, in Sept, you are going to be leaving in darkness at 5am. Yep, it is boring until the Yukon River, but you also have no experience here and may want to see it all. The point of going southbound by road is again, VERY significant with time, and you needing to be on a much tighter schedule.

Flying up is far superior, again from first hand information. You have a chance for northern lights viewing as well.

I think in September you have fewer options. Some days they do the flight first, other days they do the drive first.

Look at it this way - doing it "drive first" then flight is better than not doing it at all!

"Maybe", but this isn't a cheap tour, and it is far superior to fly north, no matter how you look at it.

"Maybe", but this isn't a cheap tour, and it is far superior to fly north, no matter how you look at it.

Could be but if the first part is "boring" anyway, as mentioned above, perhaps the darkness at 5am isn't really a big deal. Coversely, in September it will be dark when returning by road if the OP flies up.

There are lots of decisions to make on an Alaskan trip. September or another month is one decision. What to do on the trip is another decision. I know for me, I would certainly take the 5am departure vs. not going at all if I were taking the trip.

I know for me, I would certainly take the 5am departure vs. not going at all if I were taking the trip.

Have you been on this tour??

With your comment, for me, I would never consider this tour. But if the differnces were unknown it may not be as important.

Archived