Packing Epiphany

hmwinter85

I’m just starting to pack for my Freedom cruise next week. I’ve read all of the packing threads here and even though I’m less than halfway done I know I’m over packing. And you know what, I’m alright with it. Do I really need two different outfits (day and night) for each day or four different bathing suits all with a matching cover up and flip flops? No. Am I going to bring them all anyway? Yes.

Please don’t assume that I’m doing this for anyone else but me. I don’t care what people think of me, nor do I care what anyone else is wearing. I’m bringing all these cloths (a lot of which are new) because for part of my vacation experience is about dressing fun, sassy, and sexy. It makes me feel great about myself and adds to my overall fun. I spend my work week in jeans and t-shirts in dirty greasy industrial buildings with a hard hat and work boots for accessories. So throwing on a sexy tank top and a killer pair of shoes is a change for me.

I just wanted to put this out there so that the other over packers out there know they are not alone.

I’m just starting to pack for my Freedom cruise next week. I’ve read all of the packing threads here and even though I’m less than halfway done I know I’m over packing. And you know what, I’m alright with it. Do I really need two different outfits (day and night) for each day or four different bathing suits all with a matching cover up and flip flops? No. Am I going to bring them all anyway? Yes.

Please don’t assume that I’m doing this for anyone else but me. I don’t care what people think of me, nor do I care what anyone else is wearing. I’m bringing all these cloths (a lot of which are new) because for part of my vacation experience is about dressing fun, sassy, and sexy. It makes me feel great about myself and adds to my overall fun. I spend my work week in jeans and t-shirts in dirty greasy industrial buildings with a hard hat and work boots for accessories. So throwing on a sexy tank top and a killer pair of shoes is a change for me.

I just wanted to put this out there so that the other over packers out there know they are not alone.

Go for it! It's your vacation.

We too, have had an epiphany about packing. Our view is we can and will pack less. ( we will see! LOL!!)

Have a blast on the Carnival Freedom! She is a beautiful ship. Hubby and I spent six days on her back in 2008.

I totally agree with you! Dress up and have fun!

We like your style of cruising, informal!

We somewhat overpacked for our SE Alaska cruise (Princess CL), then found out they had laundry rooms onboard. After gathering quarters from the front desk we were able to wash our clothes before the end of the cruise.

On our panama canal adventure, Holland Am offered a laundry service where u stuff as many clothes into a med size bag for $20. it was worth every Penny. A full service laundry was $90. Thought that was a little expensive.

For our next cruise we won't pack as much and spend a little $$ to have clothes cleaned during the trip, .

In fact, I shld start another thread asking what type laundry service is on the Splendor!

Since our airline will be charging $25 per checked bag each way, it may make a lot of sense to pack less and use the laundry service instead. (I personally refuse to do laundry myself on my vacation!!)

I totally agree with you....I am in scrubs and tennis shoes 12 hours a day. Yes, my choice as I chose this profession, but I also choose to dress up/sexy on my time off which sometimes means "OVER PACKING"! Oh well, as long as we all enjoy ourselves do what ever "Floats your boat"!

If it makes you feel any better I wore a different swimsuit each day of our freedom cruise, so that means 8 with a cover up and flops. Then a change outfit then a dinner outfit and never repeated. Follow your bliss honey girl!

I once had 21 pairs of shoes on a cruise. Whatever makes YOU happy:D

I considered using the laundry service (I'm with megmno I refuse to do laundry on vacation) but instead we've been saving like crazy over the last year and have more then enough to cover the cost of checking a bag each and still have plenty left over for a few DODs;).

I totally agree with you....I am in scrubs and tennis shoes 12 hours a day. Yes, my choice as I chose this profession, but I also choose to dress up/sexy on my time off which sometimes means "OVER PACKING"! Oh well, as long as we all enjoy ourselves do what ever "Floats your boat"!

ditto and then some...no tennis shoes but crocs and sneakers - scrubs all the way everyday so on vacation I want to be pretty :)

If it makes you feel any better I wore a different swimsuit each day of our freedom cruise, so that means 8 with a cover up and flops. Then a change outfit then a dinner outfit and never repeated. Follow your bliss honey girl!

I once had 21 pairs of shoes on a cruise. Whatever makes YOU happy:D

but do less now..when I can;)

I believe that if you wear all of most of what you bring, then you haven't overpacked. Have a fantastic cruise!

That's an excellent point. I would say I was overpacked if I came home with clothing that I didn't wear. If you wear all the outfits, bathing suits and shoes that you pack, then it's not really overpacking. It's just packing more than someone else does.

To each his own. If it makes you happy to pack and wear that many outfits, go for it and enjoy!

I think that if we were not flying to our port this time I would not be trying to pack light. But I don't want to pay any more than I have to because of baggage fees from the airline.

i’m just starting to pack for my freedom cruise next week. I’ve read all of the packing threads here and even though i’m less than halfway done i know i’m over packing. And you know what, i’m alright with it. Do i really need two different outfits (day and night) for each day or four different bathing suits all with a matching cover up and flip flops? No. Am i going to bring them all anyway? Yes.

Please don’t assume that i’m doing this for anyone else but me. I don’t care what people think of me, nor do i care what anyone else is wearing. I’m bringing all these cloths (a lot of which are new) because for part of my vacation experience is about dressing fun, sassy, and sexy. It makes me feel great about myself and adds to my overall fun. I spend my work week in jeans and t-shirts in dirty greasy industrial buildings with a hard hat and work boots for accessories. So throwing on a sexy tank top and a killer pair of shoes is a change for me.

sing it sista!!!!!!!!

Me too, me too! lol I am the same way, my work day is jeans, sweat shirt and work boots. I LOVE being able to wear "people cloths" (as I call it).

I over pack too. Though, I am trying to better on the next cruise. I call it my "Nervous Nelly Packing Syndrome"

• 4 weeks later...

I usually over pack. As you can see in my avatar, I packed those teal shoes just to match the one dress for one night. It's always the shoes that kill me. We are sailing again this Friday and I am really really working on pairing down to only a carry-on size suitcase. Fingers crossed! :D

I share the opinion that you have only overpacked if you don't wear almost everything you bring. Wear something twice? The people who give that advice must not play as hard or sweat as much as I do. ;) I want fresh clothes every day and night, period - so that's what I bring, along with one extra outfit each for daytime and nighttime just in case. If I wear almost everything, I haven't overpacked. :)

Archived