TSA luggage size restrictions different than cruise line restrictions?

ohiocyclist

We will be on CCL Legend from Tampa soon, second cruise for us. Sailed CCL Fascination last year out of JaxPort. Before last year's trip I was careful to look at the CCL luggage dimensions that they allow, because we weren't interested in having anybody carry our bags on. I adhered to this policy from the CCL web site, which I believe is unchanged from last year:

"Guests are encouraged to limit their checked luggage to two suitcases per person, with each suitcase not to weigh more than 50 pounds and not exceed 16"H x 24"W (no length restrictions)."

"In many ports, guests have the option of carrying luggage on board at embarkation and off the ship at the end of the cruise as long as it does not exceed 16"H x 24"W (no length restrictions)."

When we got to the port and BEFORE we saw the first CCL employee, we were told that we COULD NOT bring our bags on by some port personnel - they HAD to be checked. When I protested and said that these bags were in compliance with the dimensions and invited them to measure them, they said that the CCL dimensions didn't matter. The max dimensions for the TSA scanners for carryons were less than the CCL stated maximums, and these bags were way bigger. Well... that was certainly a surprise!!:mad::mad:

My questions: 1) were we taken for a ride last year in order to steer more bags through the porters, thus ensuring more work (and tips) for them? 2) Have any of you heard of other ports where the cruise lines' max luggage dimensions were bigger than the equipment that TSA actually had at that port? Seems to me that the scanning equipment would have to be standardized from port-to-port, exactly like airport standards.:confused::confused:

It looks like CCL has language ("In many ports...") that leaves the door wide open for these variances, but I can't find anywhere that says X port is in compliance and Y port isn't. I think it is pretty crappy that these ports aren't required to be consistent by the TSA at a minimum, and certainly by the cruise lines.

Thanks for any experiences you would share.

I don't think you were victim of conspiracy, but the rules seem to vary depending on who you talk to. I usually check my larger bags with the porters because I like to board early and I don't want to lug them around. But I have run into inconsistencies about whether I have to empty my water bottle before going through security and removing coats... But I've had as many inconsistencies in airports too.

If you are flying - check the airline website for size and weight restrictions. You can have some big fees if the luggage is too big or heavy. I have never had the cruise line insist on checking luggage at the port but our carry ons are the size allowed for carryon when we fly. The cruise lines now have scanners before you board the ship. As long as your carryons fit thru the scanners at the airport they will be fine boarding the ship.

If you are flying - check the airline website for size and weight restrictions. You can have some big fees if the luggage is too big or heavy. I have never had the cruise line insist on checking luggage at the port but our carry ons are the size allowed for carryon when we fly. The cruise lines now have scanners before you board the ship. As long as your carryons fit thru the scanners at the airport they will be fine boarding the ship.

This is a very good answer here. If you had to check your bag on the airline due to it being larger than carry on size it will be the same at the cruise port because the scanners at the port are the same as the airport. There are larger scanners used when you check your bag in at the port with the porters to accomodate bags that are larger than carry on size.

I have flown numerous times and am well aware of their restrictions...:rolleyes::rolleyes:

No airport was involved on that particular trip - we drove. I measured all luggage and it was well within the stated CCL maximums. Note their language: "16"H x 24"W (no length restrictions)". No, it wasn't a skinny, eight foot long bag!! :p:p It was a wheeled travel duffel bag that was easily under the 16" x 24" maximum, but was obviously longer than any airline carry-on. But that's my point - this isn't an airline carry-on, it is a cruise ship carry-on. If CCL (or any other line for that matter) is going to explicitly state maximum dimensions like these, they better make sure the ports where they dock are compliant with those dimensions.

Archived