Bar Harbor - Oli's Trolly question

fl.princess

We booked the 2:00 long tour - 2 1/2 hours, so it should arrive back at 4:30. Our ship leaves at 6:00. Anyone experience the Trolly getting back a little late and having a tough time getting back on the ship? Just wondering if we need to change to the 1:00 tour. Thanks!

If you book shore excursions thru the ship, it will wait for you to return even if late. If you book on your own, you are on your own to get back in time.

I understand that, but many on this forum have booked directly with Oli's Trolly and I'm asking if there HAS ever been a delay. We are already booked through Oli's and am considering switching to the 1:00 tour if it's still available.

I understand that, but many on this forum have booked directly with Oli's Trolly and I'm asking if there HAS ever been a delay. We are already booked through Oli's and am considering switching to the 1:00 tour if it's still available.

There's always the possibility of something going wrong (flat tire, etc). All the drivers have radios, though, and the last thing they want to have happen is for you (and the rest of their passengers) is to get back to the tender pier late. We always book morning tours to have a little more cushion. Once back in town there is plenty of time to see it without worrying.

This may give you small comfort, but in all the years that I've been active in this forum, I never recall anyone posting about either independent tour company being delayed in returning from a park tour. Of course, it could have happen to someone who is not a member of CC.

HTH

SBtS

This may give you small comfort, but in all the years that I've been active in this forum, I never recall anyone posting about either independent tour company being delayed in returning from a park tour. Of course, it could have happen to someone who is not a member of CC.

HTH

SBtS

Thanks...I'm going to check about changing it. I booked the afternoon because we had originally scheduled another tour in the morning, but now we canceled that.

Is there any issue with not getting on a tender to make the 10:00 tour? The ship gets in at 7:00.

I went ahead and changed our tour to the 10:00 tour. The woman at Oli's said we would have to be on a tender by 9:00 at the latest. If we run into any problems, to call and let her know what's going on and she could try to move us on a later tour. If the ship is late getting itself, they will refund the ticket.

Depending where the cruise ship drops the hook, the tender ride can be as short as 7 minutes. The only problem with Bar Harbor is that the tender dock only handles one tender at a time, compared to Newport RI where 4 tenders can be at the tender dock at one time. This does not mean that the cruise ship will only be running one tender, but a waiting tender will do doughnuts while waiting for the tender dock to clear. The way I recall it being done is while one tender is unloading at the tender dock, another tender will be loading up at the cruise ship, still another tender will be en route to the tender dock and still another tender returning to the cruise ship. What can also be added to the mix, is one tender doing doughnuts while waiting for the tender dock to clear and another tender doing doughnuts while waiting to do a pickup at the cruise ship.

Enjoy your cruise & Bar Harbor!

SBtS

Archived