Almonds and Corals Ziplining in Costa Rica

MommaFaye

We recently returned from a cruise where we ziplined in Costa Rica. I originally contacted Oscar Brown to set up a tour, but he didn't respond very quickly so I inquired at Almonds and Corals (where Oscar takes his tours to zipline). Aurora Gamez, the owner, was very responsive and accommodating!

For $75 pp, we had a tour guide meet us at the pier (7 AM C.R. time and it's an hour and a half drive!). Rayfaelle (sp) was very personable, spoke English well, and made the hour and a half drive so interesting by sharing very interesting things about his country and showing us things along the way (sloths and monkeys, different flora and fauna). He was very knowledgeable about the animals and their habits. Ray (I'll call him for short) was also very thoughtful and stopped along the way for us to purchase a coke and use the bathrooms. He even payed from his own pocket for our use of the restrooms. The van we were in was very nice and comfortable.

The ziplining was awesome! My husband and I are over 50 and not too keen on heights so we were a bit apprehensive, especially after we were presented with a 2-page disclaimer before we geared up! After the first 2 "zips" we relaxed and thoroughly enjoyed every second.

Our guide waited for us at the beach where the ziplines end up and accompanied us back to the lodge where we ate fresh fruit, juice and wonderful Costa Rican coffee! On the way back to the ship, he took us to a beautiful beach and we could have snorkeled there, had we brought our stuff (next time we will - it was a beautiful place). We stopped and watched and heard howler monkeys in the trees - they're loud! We saw more sloths. He even had binoculars for us to use so we could observe closely. We stopped at a grocery market where he showed us the best coffee to buy and helped interpret for us with the employees (I got 3 pounds for $6!) He would have taken us any place we wanted to go and his company was so enjoyable. There was no pitch for tips at any point (which in itself was refreshing), although we did give him $15 per couple because he did such a good job for us.

In the months prior to our cruise, our group went from 8 people to 6 to 4. Aurora's level of service, interest, and contact never changed. She was still as accommodating to the 4 of us as she was when we were 8. By the time we got to Almonds and Corals and met Aurora, I felt like she was an old friend! We were all very impressed by the way she runs her business.

I highly recommend booking your ziplining tour directly through Almonds and Corals. Their web site is http://www.almondsandcorals.com. Feel free to ask me anything - I'd love to help!

We did this from Puerto Limon, however, I got the impression that they accommodated other ports as well. If you are interested, you can email Aurora and ask her. She is always very prompt in responding.

It was a wonderful tour and if I ever go back to Costa Rica, we will do it again!

• 2 weeks later...

;) WE booked through OScar B which was a mistake- costa rica and the owner at almonds and coral were however delightful- ziplining was a highlight of the tour!My 7 yr old did it and was thrilled to have been the youngest to do it theat day(with apprehension at first)I would recommend almonds and coral just make sure whoever you book with has ac in their van for the 1 1/2 hours it atakes to get there!

We're planning on zip lining at Almonds & Corals in Costa Rica in two weeks. Can any of you "veteran" zip liners give me a detailed explaination of what to expect? How many zips? How high up are we talking? (I'm not thrilled of heights but zip lining just sounds so cool!) What kind of "gear" do you wear? Did you feel safe? :) I'll be with my hubby and daughters (8 & 12). Knowing that a 7 year old did it succesfully makes me feel better. Aurora told us that people ages 5 to 90 could do it but I wasn't sure how accurate that really was.

Thanks for any information.

Deborah

Deborah: We have just returned from the Galaxy with a stop in Puerto Limon. We went ziplining with Almonds and Corals. We booked directly thorugh Almonds and Corals. Our guide (Charlene) was an excellent guide and spoke excellent English. She is studying to be an English teacher. We saw howler monkeys on the way to Almonds and Corals. While we were ziplining we saw a yellow viper snake (from a distance), and a toucan.

We also went with our 2 boys (9 and 12). They had a fantastic time and it was the hi-lite of our cruise. They both were so brave by the end of the zip line that they were going with no hands and leaning back as far as they could (copying the guides who sometimes went upside down!)

I would highly recommend this tour to anyone!

Did you pay by credit card or cash? What do you do with your personal stuff while ziplining? How big was your group?

We're leaving this Friday on the Brilliance and this excursion sounds great?

We paid by cash. I wasn't comfortable using my credit card outside of the country. I had a small backpack that carried bug spray, sail and sign card, id, cash, camera, etc. I took it with me. It didn't get it the way at all, although it was small. There were 8 in our group. We were split up into smaller groups. The platforms that you "zip" from wouldn't be big enough for 8 people. It is a great excursion. The trip to Almonds and Corals is a bit long, but very worth it!

We took a backpack with bug spray and other things. We were able to leave them on the bus that we travelled in. The bus was locked. However, I didn't leave any valuables. I used a fanny pack for my camera and money. We also paid in cash. I was told when I booked it that they prefer cash...no service charges for them then.

As for eating, they do provide a fruit snack after (if you book directly through Almonds and Corals). We also took some long buns with us from the ships buffet. I wrapped them in some napkins. Some others that had gone with us had made some peanut butter sandwiches (never thought of that myself). They have peanut butter in the packages at the buffet (as well as jam). There are also muffins and banana bread that would be good to take too. I wouldn't take any fruit though in case you get stopped (there is a sign that says not to take any food on shore. I don't think they'd care about bread but they might about fruit).

• 2 weeks later...

We just got back yesterday from the Brilliance. We did the Almonds and Corals zip lining in Costa Rica and it was one of the highlights of this trip and we're so glad we did it - one of our group is 60 yrs old and she did just fine!! Thanks for all the information I got from these boards!

basically you get there they hook you up in harnessess and clips and then they give you a short safety lesson- complete with a demonstration. there are 11 ziplines and they say that you have to repel to get down if you chicken out- no one in our group did so I dont know about that- the very last zip line the guides bounce you up and down on the line which is a lot of fun- your kids will love it- after the first one(with a huge climb up) its a piece of cake. You are clipped to a safety line the entire time- I felt very safe- even while waiting on the platforms you are hooked! have fun!:p

We booked the Zip line tour with Oscar Brown. Went with a large group - about 18 people went from our ship in two large vans. We made a couple stops on the way, but not as many as in some trip reports as it was good Friday and a lot of places were closed.

At Almonds & Corals we paid in cash, and did the zip lining. They have people that put all the gear on you. Throughout the zip-lining you are always secured with at least one, and sometimes two, safety lines, even when climbing up to the platforms. There were 11 zip-line segments. They said the tallest was 40 meters. After the first platform you split into groups of 4 and travel with two guides. At each segment one guide goes ahead then the other guide helps each person onto the line. The guide who went first helps each person get onto the platform at the end of the segment, then the last guide follows and the group then advances to the next segment. Our group included people who were scared of heights at first, but they did fine. We didn't see too much wildlife. I'm not sure if there wasn't much that day or we were just too concentrated on the zip lining.

There was a gift shop at Almonds & Corals with a so-so selection of T-Shirts. Oscar Brown provided soft drinks and beer. Either he, or the Almonds & Corals people, provided a nice assortment of fresh fruit after the zip lining for a snack. For those who wanted to go, Oscar dropped us at a great restuarant in Limon after the zip lining and picked us up about an hour later.

There are several pictures on my web site - follow the links below for the 3/21/05 Summit sailing.

Larry,

Glad you had a great time with Oscar, I have posted numerous times about the great day that we had with him. We will be using him again when we go back to Puerto Limon next year.

We did a partial transit of the canal in 2004 and will do a similar one in 2006. Did you feel that the tour that you did at the Panama Canal was worth the money? What all did you do there, and was the tour through the ship? I can't decide if we will stay on the ship this time or go ashore. Would love to hear about your day there.

Archived