When do you cruise the caribbean?

I just booked us for the week of Thanksgiving for the first time to this area. I sure hope we have good weather for snorkeling. We are self-employed and are limited to just 2 weeks out of the year, either Thanksgiving week or the week between Christmas and New Years. I just want nice weather and sorta warm water.

2nd/3rd week of May. Temps not hot, kids are still in school. Hurricanes have not started yet and the high price time has not yet arrived.

My thoughts exactly. For us, it's the perfect time to cruise to the Caribbean. Plus, if you drive or fly to your embarkation port, weather is not a factor.

Our favorite months are April and November. However, I like the prices in December (before the holidays), January and late August/Sept. We try to cruise when the kiddo's are in school.

That said, we live in hurricane alley and try not to cruise in the height of the season (Aug/Sept) because we don't like leaving our home with an impending storm which has happened to us several times. We have sailed and been diverted a few times also because of storms. You just have to go with an understanding that can happen.

Oh who am I kidding? We go anytime. :p

20 cruises to date and all but one have been in January or February. We live in the mountains where it snows and snows and snows in the winter. By mid-January, the missus and I are usually sick to death of winter and want a week of warm weather. So we always book between mid-January and the end of February. Some posters here have commented that the water temps around the Bahamas and points close in the winter months are cold and uncomfortable. That has not been our experience and we snorkel and I also dive. After a day of 85-90 degrees and 100% humidity, a nice cool dip is wonderful!

2nd/3rd week of May. Temps not hot, kids are still in school. Hurricanes have not started yet and the high price time has not yet arrived.

Absolutely. When I read this post it was as though I had written it myself.

In addition to all of the reasons above, the rough winter seas have settled and are usually quite smooth by May.

I'm sure there have been previous threads on this, when is the best time in your opinion to cruise the caribbean? Having just finished my 1st cruise earlier this month I find myself already wanting to plan my next one. But what time of year is the best. Do I try to get a better deal but risk colder weather? Do I go when I know it will be warm/hot and risk the rainy/hurricane season? And what are your reasons for picking these times.....no kids or with kids, rates, weather?

We usually go either in Sep-Nov or April-May. The reasons being: the prices are low, there a few kids, the weather is good. Don't worry too much about hurricane season.

After one mistake.........and it really CAN be a doozy.......we cruise whenever the majority of schoolkids ARE in school.

If you think the average Carnival customer is strict with their children's behavior in public.....THINK AGAIN !!!!!!

Archived