Tipping Question

I just bought the Frommers Cruises and Ports of Call 2005. GREAT BOOK! Lots of good stuff to say about RCCL.

I was surprised when it mentioned tipping it said to give 50% of what was suggested for kids. Do you all do this? I had planned on giving the same amount per child that we do per adult.

Also, do you tip the counselors in the kids club? How much?

I've always tipped the full amount for kids (actually I always give more than the recommended amount). The stateroom attendants probably have more work when there are kids involved and the dining staff always goes out of their way to accommodate the kids. I can't believe they would recommend tipping half when the workload is the same or even more than it would be for and adult.

Amy

I was talking to some of the crew on RCI and they said they are paid by tips. Just about everybody besides Customer Service, Chefs, and Performers. They get on the ship for free and can take care fo themselves while on the boat without any money. When theyre contract ends, (I belive its 6 months) they only have the money they made from tips. I would say tip everyone you delt with on the ship, how much is up to you.

e39m5

I also like to take pre-paid phone cards that I give to those who are paid, but their assistance is appreciated, like the crew in the kids club that entertain my grandkids, and I use them as a little sumthin extra as well. They come in handy for them to call home from the differnt ports and don't have to spend their hard earned money.

We cruised on the Radiance last month with our 8 year old daughter. We tipped the full amount for her because she slept in the room, used the towels, had dinner in the main dining room with us and basically took the same advantage of the amenities of the ship as we did. Our DD chose not to participate in the kids program, but even if she had, we still would have tipped the full amount.

Our cabin attendant Glyda, gave our DD a private towel animal demonstration too :D Now THAT's service!

Archived