25th Anniversary Edition - Valor Review

Sevencruiser

We had breakfast in the MDR on Friday since we were not in Grand Turk until 11am. This was our second time to eat breakfast in MDR this week. I usually order the eggs Benedict, and remembered a tip I read here about ordering the sauce on the side. The first time I did not do this, and they were a little overcooked, but this morning they were perfect when I ordered it that way.

We had a snorkeling excursion booked with Blue Water Divers in Grand Turk. I had heard of them mentioned on CC so did some research, and found all favorable reviews. What really attracted me to this company was that they keep the tours small in number, so that when you are out there snorkeling you’re not bumping into someone else all the time. We walked through the cruise center to the taxi stand where there were many taxis waiting to take their turn to pull to the curb. We waited just a minute for a few more people to join us, since they use minivans and want to fill up a ride. The rates are posted there, and the island is only 7 miles long, so you know what you’ll pay when you get in a cab. It was $5 a person for the zone we needed (which also the same price to ride into town). They even give you tour highlights along the way. One of the drivers told us they are suppose to do this. Very friendly island. The driver dropped us off right in front of BWD office. There were 12 of us there when everyone showed up, to be fitted for fins. Some people brought there own mask and snorkel, which I can understand, but I was fine with using what they provided.

We were early, so we had a chance to jump in the water and do a little swimming and snorkeling right there at the beach. Our 24’ skiff showed up and pulled right up to the beach. Eric helped us all in the boat, and we were off. He told us a little about the reef and fish we were about to see and we were at our first stop before we knew it. Long before some of the larger tours that we saw in the distance. The water was an incredible blue and I couldn’t wait to get in. We were all told to take as long as we wanted, in fact his answer to “when do we need to get back in” was “when does your ship leave” so he was willing to stay as long as we liked.

DSCN2907.jpg

Snorkeling can wear you out quickly though, so Id guess we were there 30 minutes, when everyone started to climb back in. I saw many different tropical fish, squid, but didn’t see a sea turtle which is what I was really hoping for. Maybe next time. Then we moved to another spot where we would snorkel over “The Wall”. It really was an amazing sight. To be snorkeling over a reef of about 25’ and then suddenly nothing. It drops off to 3000ft’. If I was a SCUBA diver I would not want to miss this. So same thing here, as much time as we wanted.

DSCN2913.jpg

There was bottled water available for us on this boat. Eric took us back to the beach to let us off at the office and Audrey called us a cab to take us back to the ship. Very professional company, Eric was knowledgeable and we had a good time. I would highly recommend them if you are looking for an excursion in Grand Turk.

Hi Calibird! We sail on her the 17th of July and I just booked the champagne catamaran we had booked The Baths but Carnival cancelled that excursion due to complaints about the vendor. How was the catamara trip - we will be with our 12 year old daughter; it sounds like it would be a good time?!? We love to snorkel and like the idea of having the beach if my daughter gets tired. Would love to hear about our trip.

thanks,

Tam

We didn't even snorkel and had a great time (the Mimosas were wonderful). They were very good with first time snorkelers as well as seasoned ones. Rum punch, mimosas, etc. was served along with snacks such as fruit, cheese, crackers. There was a dingy to take you to the beach if you did not want to snorkel your way there. A lovely day.

Tonight was the second elegant night and the show, Far from Over. Another good show, I loved the 80’s music and I wouldn’t mind seeing this one again. And today we purchased a future cruise certificate, so now I can start planning our next cruise.

DSCN2935.jpg

The last Sea Day is kind of a blur. Really just spent this day relaxing, played some pub trivia and bingo. My sister won a ship on a stick for trivia. We found a comfortable spot on the Promenade and played card games for a while. Then the worst part of the cruise. Packing to go home. But we still had a fun night to look forward to. First the Fun Farewell Party. It was held in the Eagles Lounge aft, and the band Soul Drive was playing. Last summer on the Destiny it was held in the main show lounge and the servers were waiting at the door in a line with trays of drinks for you to pick up as you walked in. Then if you wanted another you had to flag down a waiter to bring one and they promptly disappeared before the party was over. This time on the Valor, there were many waiters walking around quickly replacing drinks as empties were placed on the table.

ACD Squishy

DSCN2965.jpg

Entertainment Hostess Olivia

DSCN2964.jpg

Entertainment Hostess Charlotte

DSCN2967.jpg

Entertainment and karaoke host Eversen

DSCN3006.jpg

As I said before, we really enjoyed this group of entertainment staff. They got to know us by name and really made a difference in how much fun we had all week.

Amy had auditioned to be Gloria Estefan in the Carnival Legends show and was picked. I know some frequent cruisers are bored with this show and I can understand that, but this was our first time so we were really excited. I’m glad it seemed like everyone was there to cheer on the performers to have fun, rather than have expectations of a professional show like on the elegant nights.

DSCN2992.jpg

Oh, and while Amy was backstage getting ready, they were playing a game show on stage. Amy usually would volunteer for this, but since she was absent, and since I had just had a dose of liquid courage at the farewell party, I got up and played. And lost miserably, but it was fun.

ESC01081.jpg

What a wonderful review! And I dont even have a cruise booked or any plans to go on this ship in particular. I just love picture reviews. :o

Thank you, it sounds like it's time for you to book another cruise. I think our next one may be the Carnival Fantasy out of Charleston since it's staying there and it's the closest drive.

Debarkation was very smooth. We had zone 19, so we had time to eat breakfast in MDR at 8am, then go back to our room for a few minutes before our zone was called. We did not have to wait in any lines getting off the ship. We had a couple of carryons with us and went right to an empty elevator, right through security getting off with the last “ding” of our S&S card. Straight to the luggage carousel, where our luggage came around very soon. And then no line at customs. Our ride was waiting in a cell phone lot so we were in the car on the way home by 9:30am.

Well I guess that's it for this review. I'll post more pictures if you want. Thank you Cruise Critic community. You all helped make this the best cruise ever by posting your tips, past experiences and sharing in the excitement of pre-planning.

DSCN2564.jpg

Thank you so much for letting me share your experience! I would love to see more pictures if you have the time.

I do have a question. You said your ride was waiting in a cell phone lot. Is there a specified lot for shuttles, etc? We are taking a shuttle back to fll after and I'm wondering if it will be difficult to navigate to our ride. I have only been to the port in San Diego and it sounds like the ports are very different.

Thank you!

Thank you so much for letting me share your experience! I would love to see more pictures if you have the time.

I do have a question. You said your ride was waiting in a cell phone lot. Is there a specified lot for shuttles, etc? We are taking a shuttle back to fll after and I'm wondering if it will be difficult to navigate to our ride. I have only been to the port in San Diego and it sounds like the ports are very different.

Thank you!

There is a loop on the West side of the terminal for shuttles/buses that is right next to passenger pick-up/drop-off, and right at the entrance to the terminal. It's very busy outside the Miami terminals, but not confusing at all. I don't know if I described the "cell phone lot" accurately, but our ride found a place to park, rather than drive around the loop continuously until we disembarked. I like to look at google maps for something like this before I go to get an idea of what we will be dealing with.

Thank you!

It's like San Diego but with a lot more room and a nicer terminal. Once out of MIA cruise port customs you walk outside and the shuttles/taxis are right there. Flying out of FLL I'd recommend booking SAS.

• 5 months later...
  • 3 months later...
Well I guess that's it for this review. I'll post more pictures if you want. Thank you Cruise Critic community. You all helped make this the best cruise ever by posting your tips, past experiences and sharing in the excitement of pre-planning.

DSCN2564.jpg

Random question...but gotta ask anyway! Were there two lounge chairs on the balcony? I couldn't tell by the pictures. I'm seriously drooling over this cabin as I'm a "balconyaholic". Just want to make sure there's a 2nd lounger for hubby!!:rolleyes:

Thanks in advance...and thanks for making me even more sure we want to cruise on CCL Valor!

Random question...but gotta ask anyway! Were there two lounge chairs on the balcony? I couldn't tell by the pictures. I'm seriously drooling over this cabin as I'm a "balconyaholic". Just want to make sure there's a 2nd lounger for hubby!!:rolleyes:

Thanks in advance...and thanks for making me even more sure we want to cruise on CCL Valor!

Yes, we had two loungers out here as well. I moved them around alot, depending on where the sun was, so they may not show in all the pictures.

I haven't looked at these for a while, but now the memories coming back really makes me want to book a cruise soon!

Archived