Taking minor kids out of the country?

schwaja3

Okay, I just called Carnival to ask exactly what documents my BIL needs to have with him showing custody of the two minor grandkids that will be traveling with him. She was VERY relaxed about the whole situation and told me that they "used to" require notarized documentation and permission to travel letters if one parent was taking minor children out of the country, but no longer require it for parents and/or grandparents traveling with minors. However, they DO still require it if it's a non-relative or extended family like an aunt or uncle. I tried to probe her a little more on the issue and said that the cruise lines were to follow the rules of the federal government and from what I was reading online he would need to have "certified" paperwork on him if asked to show relationship/guardianship etc. She, once again, told me that if it would make "him" feel better about it then he should bring it along. She also told me that he would have no problem getting any medical attention, if needed, because he was traveling on a Carnival vessel and they don't require any paperwork.

Here's my question...if you don't have any paperwork on you or they don't ask to see it then how in the heck do they even know that he's the grandparent and not just a non-relative???

I think I may call back and see if another person tells me the same thing?

Okay, I just called Carnival to ask exactly what documents my BIL needs to have with him showing custody of the two minor grandkids that will be traveling with him. She was VERY relaxed about the whole situation and told me that they "used to" require notarized documentation and permission to travel letters if one parent was taking minor children out of the country, but no longer require it for parents and/or grandparents traveling with minors. However, they DO still require it if it's a non-relative or extended family like an aunt or uncle. I tried to probe her a little more on the issue and said that the cruise lines were to follow the rules of the federal government and from what I was reading online he would need to have "certified" paperwork on him if asked to show relationship/guardianship etc. She, once again, told me that if it would make "him" feel better about it then he should bring it along. She also told me that he would have no problem getting any medical attention, if needed, because he was traveling on a Carnival vessel and they don't require any paperwork.

Here's my question...if you don't have any paperwork on you or they don't ask to see it then how in the heck do they even know that he's the grandparent and not just a non-relative???

I think I may call back and see if another person tells me the same thing?

Lol! That's why I have been doing so much research...and have spoken to more than one rep to see if I got the same answer, which I did. I even spoke to the port authority police and he said "unless someone or something drew attention to you and your child(ren), how would I even know you are in the terminal traveling without a consent form", then proceeded to tell me that without a court document prohibiting us from boarding the ship, they would not stop us.

Is this with Carnival? Once you have passed security? Which port? I am trying to get as much info as possible. I really don't want to have to spend our vacation money to go to court, but I don't want to risk not being able to board either.

Yes, this was in Port of Miami for 3 different cruises, the last one being 2 years ago.

Since my son is now 17, I tried calling yesterday to clarify if I still needed the letter, but I got someone who clearly did not know the answer and just kept quoting me the policy about cabins being directly across the hall and no more than 3 doors away :mad: After the 3rd time he read me that policy I just "You obviously do not know the answer to my question, so I will try again later."

Yes, this was in Port of Miami for 3 different cruises, the last one being 2 years ago.

Since my son is now 17, I tried calling yesterday to clarify if I still needed the letter, but I got someone who clearly did not know the answer and just kept quoting me the policy about cabins being directly across the hall and no more than 3 doors away :mad: After the 3rd time he read me that policy I just "You obviously do not know the answer to my question, so I will try again later."

Thank you for your response. I would email your question....that way you have the answer in writing.

we went through the same thing recently when we took our kids on a 4 day out of New Orleans. I called SEVERAL times to Carnival and got many different reps that all said the same thing.....that the notarized letter was recommended but not required. AS LONG AS one of the bio parents are traveling with the children and we were also advised to have the custody papers too (just in case).

we ended up getting the letters the day BEFORE we left (the biomom was waiting until last minute b/c she is like that...) anyway - we had the letters, the custody papers, etc...... we were not asked for any of it. My son has different last name than I do and they never blinked an eye. Port out or coming back through customs.

However, I would advise that you do have a notarized letter from the other parent if it is possible just in case.

Archived