Looking for Info on Europe 6/2012

We are looking at booking an Eastern Med cruise on Nav of The Sea.on 6/24/2012. Cruise leaves from Rome. While we got a great price on cruise thru a TA.for Cat D! ..deck 9. We want to stay either 2 nghts on the front side or 2 days on the return.. TA gace US a rate for 3 of $1400...two nights and only transfer is fron Hotel to ship..plus breafaast that like $700 per night.

We are looking for a nice room for 3 ( son will be 6) so a rollaway bed works...If we stay 2 nights pre cruise we would need a transfer from airport to hotel, hotel to ship and ship to airport. We will probably do Choice air through RCCL...Also looking for info on a day tour of Rome

Thanks and look forward to hearing the responses !!

zino5: Just so you know, your departure port (Civitavecchia) is actually 1 to 1 1/2 hours from Rome. From your description, it sounds like your TA is quoting you a package in one of RCI's hotels pre-cruise (approx $230pp per night). This would include your transfer hotel to port.

Have not looked, but it is early to be trying to book hotels in Rome for 6/12. ;) Most hotels/sites will not be showing any availability yet (they have not released your dates at this point). IF you do some investigating on your own, you will likely be able to save yourself a 'substantial' amount of $$$$. However, you will need to make your own arrangements for transportation (not difficult, but will take some investigation).

Best advise is to find a site(s) that specializes in European hotels (the usual suspects have not had the best pricing in our experience). Read the reviews on various sites as well as using the "Ports of Call" section of CC (under the "Europe" tab). Suggest reading the reviews for what is said, what is important to you may OR may not be important to others. ;)

You will need to search for a hotel based upon 3 occupants (pricing is usually based upon the number in the room). A good portion of Rome hotels will include some sort of breakfast in the room rate. Just so you know, Rome hotel rooms (as most hotels in Europe) will be smaller than you are likely used to. Read the amenities list carefully, IF something is NOT listed, do NOT assume it is there.....it likely is NOT. For instance, elevators are NOT a given!!! HTH.

Bruce

On the staying pre or post cruise in Rome, I just wrote a review of Liberty, When we were in Rome we had the feeling that Rome is one hell of a big and busy city, also not that clean with loads of graffiti (a lot of passengers where saying this).

If you want to see all the sight you indeed need a couple of days extra…I guess it is important that you decide if you want the city’s rush to go over you and your family, before or after your cruise…Personally, I would say before, so you can relax afterwards on the ship :D

Best advise is to find a site(s) that specializes in European hotels (the usual suspects have not had the best pricing in our experience). Read the reviews on various sites as well as using the "Ports of Call" section of CC (under the "Europe" tab). Suggest reading the reviews for what is said, what is important to you may OR may not be important to others. ;)

What sites specialize in European hotels ?

What sites specialize in European hotels ?

Unfortunately, even though they 'specialize' in European hotels, several of them also 'offer' cruises. :( Try Venere, Booking, etc OR Google "Discount European hotels". This should bring up a well rounded group of sources that are NOT the usual suspects.

Bruce

My wife and I were in Rome and Tuscany in April and I found excellent and reasonably priced hotels in both cites by looking at reviews on tripadvisor.com . The hotel we stayed at in Rome was called A View of Rome. It is very small and not fancy (just 3 Rooms and a small lobby area) but all rooms have a view from window directly into the Vatican Compound, were spotlessly clean and the owners are wonderful people. This hotel was rated 5 Stars by almost everyone who posted on tripadvisor and I gave it a 5 rating also. I would stay there again. As for travel to the port, we did not take a cruise but I can tell you that the train system is excellent and resonably priced. If I cruise out of Rome in the future I will take the train to the port in Civ over a bus or taxi without question. I hope this helps.

Archived