I need advice!

I am trying to decide between 2 ships for my 25th anniversary cruise. DH (47), DS (21), DD (16) and I (47) are planning to sail Aug. 14, 2005. I usually plan trips earlier, but our previous vacation fell apart due to DS work schedule. :(

Our choice is between the Mariner and the Explorer. Any comments about either? The Mariner sails out of Port Canaveral and the Explorer sails out of Miami. The port doesn't matter since we have to fly from CT. Both itineraries work for us. The only thing left is the ship.

We sailed last summer on the Disney Magic and had a fabulous time. We haven't taken RCL in 15 years. We've also sailed on Celebrity and Carnival. We didn't enjoy Carnival, but both Celebrity and RCL were wonderful cruises to Bermuda.

Any input would be appreciated! :)

Thanks,

Judy

Well, for one thing Port Canaveral is nicer than Miami.

Also, the Mariner is the newest of the Voyager-class ships and has some features that the Explorer does not (Chops Steakhouse and the balconies pushed out of the hull are the major differences). If you get a balcony cabin you will probably be happier in the Mariner.

The Explorer has that oceanographic lab that may be of interest if you're into that sort of thing. I believe they give tours.

Either way, I am sure you'll love the ship you choose..they are both beautiful.

Judy,

Hopefully someone will respond that has been on these ships, but as I was picking a ship for my first cruise I discovered on this site that ships within particular 'families' of RCI ships are pretty much identical to one another. Mariner and Explorer are both Voyager Class ships, so the ships design should be the same. Just comes down to captain and crew (plus, of course, itinerary!). I suggest you read the CC reviews from each ship (either on the Reviews section of CC, or just do a thread search on this board - searching thread titles only - to see what you can find).

Happy Cruise Shopping!

Debbi

My husband and I celebrated our 20th Anniversary on the Explorer last May with our best friends. I really missed our 2 teenage daughters, because there was so much that they would have liked to do on the ship. This is why we are taking them on the Navigator this JUly...I know they weill have a great time. Our girls ages are 18 & 19.

The Explorer is a beautiful ship. We had a JS on the hump, and it was just perfect. This next cruise we have an E2 on the hump and the girls have a regular E2 on the opposite side of the ship. This way we can be on either balcony when we are pulling in or out of Port.

Ollie:)

Archived