Is this safe? or Against policy?

I read a review and the following was posted ...

we put DD to bed (who is 2) and give DS (who 12) the walkie talkie. even if she woke up she was in a crib and would start yelling bubba. so even if she did manage to get out of the crib, she wouldn't be able to open the door to the cabin. they are spring loaded and her big brother would get to her first. he would call us at every sound. we just told him if she wasn't awake not to worry about it. we all make sounds when we sleep.

we would never just leave her in the room by herself. if we didn't have him (DS)we would probably just hang on our balcony some and also use the baby sitting service camp carnival provides after 10pm they charge you.

Mind you this family was booked in a ocean view suite w/ balcony.

I personally would never leave a 12 yr old alone with a 2 yr old in stateroom, but that is me. But what about a stateroom with a balcony?

Thoughts....

Policy....

A 12-year-old sibling would be a much more aware, a much more capable, and a much more CONCERNED person to babysit his BABY SISTER. It would also depend on the level of maturity of the 12-year-old.(there are a lot of 25-year-olds I wouldn't let babysit my dog) Why this is of concern to the OP to create a thread about it is even more interesting, however. :rolleyes:

I have a nine year old that goes to an after school program. After school programs go thru 6th grade. At 11 or 12 years old they are on their own if they don’t go to a sport or club event or have parents pick them up after school. I think it is up to the parents to decide if a 12 year old is responsible enough to look after a little one. Hopefully the parents are responsible enough to make the correct decision.

Our oldest son was 13 when our youngest son was born and I would have been very comfortable leaving him with his younger brothers. And I too was babysitting by age 12, back in the "old days" , before cell phones, when parents had to leave a phone number where they could be reached!

we put DD to bed (who is 2) and give DS (who 12) the walkie talkie. even if she woke up she was in a crib and would start yelling bubba. so even if she did manage to get out of the crib, she wouldn't be able to open the door to the cabin. they are spring loaded and her big brother would get to her first. he would call us at every sound. we just told him if she wasn't awake not to worry about it. we all make sounds when we sleep.

we would never just leave her in the room by herself. if we didn't have him (DS)we would probably just hang on our balcony some and also use the baby sitting service camp carnival provides after 10pm they charge you.

I personally would never leave a 12 yr old alone with a 2 yr old in stateroom, but that is me. But what about a stateroom with a balcony?

Thoughts....

Policy....

a 12 year old on land would have an easier time getting a 2 year old out of a house in an emergency than on a ship, where bulkhead emergency doors close in an crisis.

no way in hell would i allow this! especially on a ship where there are others that have access to the rooms, and know your every move.

I was babysitting at 12, without walkie-talkies, for parents who were not within walking distance of home.

12 years olds babysit at home a lot...as long as he didn't leave the room and truly babysat I don't see an issue.

I had a babysitting job when I was 12.........

sorry, but in an emergency on a ship, where lights could go out, and halls be smoke filled, and the nearest "exit" is no where close to the door. does the 12 year old know to stay in the room, or leave, and go where?

Always the same person with the negative spin on everything. No worries, the room stewards are always around. Seriously someone could post about beautiful weather for their 7 day cruise and this person would find a negative :p

Component 12 year olds babysit all the time and the parents are a lot further away then a deck or two. As long as the 12 year old is comfortable in the stateroom as opposed to his house, I don't see the difference. You wouldn't answer a door at home, the parents can call or comeback to check. I would try it one night for maybe a drink or two, or dinner at the Steakhouse, and see how everyone feels. I also would have a long conversation with the babysitter prior to the cruise.

sorry, but in an emergency on a ship, where lights could go out, and halls be smoke filled, and the nearest "exit" is no where close to the door. does the 12 year old know to stay in the room, or leave, and go where?

Probably as well or better than the drunk 30 yr old.

Thoughts....

Policy....

is this your family you are talking about? No

Do you have 12 and 2 yo's at the present time?

Anyway, while I would not do it..and would just take the kids with me as we all are always back in the cabin by 11pm the latest...I can tell you this.....

yes, parents can, do and will continue to leave a 12yo in charge for a few hours when needed.....and it is not the end of the world...child protective services does not need to be called and the kids will grow up fine.

....it really is no big deal to leave the 12yo with the baby for say up to 2 hours.....the baby will sleep..and if not the 12 yo can call the parents.....

No...it is not OK to do this and go off until 4am and get drunk..but to stay close by..and stay normal..it is not a big deal.

I personally believe that 13 or 14 is a better age..and I would take the kids with us...and since most if not all venues are kid friendly in the early hours, this is no big deal before 10pm.

Probably as well or better than the drunk 30 yr old.

it's just heartbreaking watching news stories constantly where people don't think tragedy will strike. yes, we all think nothing can happen, but it does. just look at the statistics.

a 12 year old on land would have an easier time getting a 2 year old out of a house in an emergency than on a ship, where bulkhead emergency doors close in an crisis.

no way in hell would i allow this! especially on a ship where there are others that have access to the rooms, and know your every move.

this is a point that does need to be made...others know your every move and have access to your room.....

so the question that needs to be asked..is..Can this 12yo make an informed decision...and know that the steward is a stranger..so is the rest of the crew...does the kid know not to go anywhere with them...or let them in?

And while I did post that I would never do this on a ship..and I babysat as well at 12....the ship is 3000 strong full of strangers from all corners of the Earth...so that needs to be considered...

but to answer the question of what do I think of this practice...

While I won't do it...many parents will...and the kids will be OK...but only a fool..does this without considering the potential for chaos to erupt....

One must consider the potential dangers of leaving the kids alone....to save a few bucks on babysitting:eek:

In that scenario I probably would panic:D Until I realized that I have a few thousand neighbors to lend a hand:rolleyes:

this is a point that does need to be made...others know your every move and have access to your room.....

so the question that needs to be asked..is..Can this 12yo make an informed decision...and know that the steward is a stranger..so is the rest of the crew...does the kid know not to go anywhere with them...or let them in?

And while I did post that I would never do this on a ship..and I babysat as well at 12....the ship is 3000 strong full of strangers from all corners of the Earth...so that needs to be considered...

While I won't do it...many parents will...and the kids will be OK...but only a fool..does this without considering the potential for chaos to erupt....

One must consider the potential dangers of leaving the kids alone....to save a few bucks on babysitting:eek:

sometimes i think we had the same parents. we just don't eat the same pizza. :D

Maybe the parents are paying the brother...

it's just heartbreaking watching news stories constantly where people don't think tragedy will strike. yes, we all think nothing can happen, but it does. just look at the statistics.

very very true....and it is amazing how many parents view their kids as more mature than they really are and wear it as a badge of honor how popular their kids are...

In that scenario I probably would panic:D Until I realized that I have a few thousand neighbors to lend a hand:rolleyes:

i was on a ship once where many, including myself, thought the ship was capsizing. trust me, the thousand that seem to be in my hall had no intention of helping anyone. it was everyone for themselves.

Archived