EWR to Manhattan Port

orcavision

We are flying into EWR on 9/23/11 and cruising out of Manhattan the next day. Will probably stay at a hotel by the airport that night and make our way to the port the next morning. I see different options - cab, car service, shuttles. Not sure if public transportation would work for us. Which would you suggest? Is it cheaper to do it that way or to get a hotel in NY and get to the pier from there? We would also need to get back to EWR on 10/1. I see that we can get a shuttle for $70+ RT. Does that sound like the best bet? Thanks in advance.

We are flying into EWR on 9/23/11 and cruising out of Manhattan the next day. Will probably stay at a hotel by the airport that night and make our way to the port the next morning. I see different options - cab, car service, shuttles. Not sure if public transportation would work for us. Which would you suggest? Is it cheaper to do it that way or to get a hotel in NY and get to the pier from there? We would also need to get back to EWR on 10/1. I see that we can get a shuttle for $70+ RT. Does that sound like the best bet? Thanks in advance.

I would stay at a hotel by the airport and then take car service to the port and then again back to the airport. try dial 7's (212)777-7777. this is probably the cheapest and easiest way.

If you don't have a ton of luggage, take the shuttle back to the airport and take the Airtrain to the NJ Transit station. Transfer to NJ Transit to NY Penn. $12.50 per person.

From NY Penn take a cab to the cruise terminal, about $10 plus tip.

The other option once you get to NY Penn is to take the "C" train (Blue Circle) uptown two stops to 50th Street and walk to the cruise terminal and walk four (long) blocks west to the cruise terminal. (Cost for two subway fares is $4.)

There will be stairs at NY Penn between NJ Transit and the subway.

That would be the absolute cheapest way, although I wouldn't suggest it unless you don't mind some walking and are traveling light.

I would stay at a hotel by the airport and then take car service to the port and then again back to the airport. try dial 7's (212)777-7777. this is probably the cheapest and easiest way.

I'm not sure that NYC livery cars are allowed to pick up fares in NJ.

Before you go schlepping luggage on and off a train/through a train station (a MAJOR hassle unless you just have a carryon) take a look at the airport bus into Manhattan. $15pp each way or $27pp RT. $10-15 cab ride to the port. http://www.coachusa.com/olympia/ss.newarkairport.asp

Very easy from EWR. Cheaper than a car service (though not as nice or private) and almost as cheap as the train without transferring or schlepping luggage on and off a train. Luggage goes underneath just like Greyhound.

Just another option.

what is wrong with taking supershuttle from ewr to manhattan port? it seems the easiest and cheapest at $17 per person .

While Supershuttle works VERY well on the West Coast and not too bad in the Midwest, Supershuttle is ABSOLUTELY HORRIBLE in NYC. Don't know what it is but it is a fact in the NYC area. Supershuttle drivers on the East Coast are on the bottom rung of the public transportation drivers. From one of my own truck drivers who drove for Supershuttle in NYC a few years ago, they get paid on how many people they put in the vans plus tips. So you may spend an hour cruising around the airport HOPING the driver can pick up more passengers.

Don't believe me-just look at these reviews or do your own Google search for reviews.

http://www.yelp.com/biz/supershuttle-astoria

Before you go schlepping luggage on and off a train/through a train station (a MAJOR hassle unless you just have a carryon) take a look at the airport bus into Manhattan. $15pp each way or $27pp RT. $10-15 cab ride to the port. http://www.coachusa.com/olympia/ss.newarkairport.asp

Very easy from EWR. Cheaper than a car service (though not as nice or private) and almost as cheap as the train without transferring or schlepping luggage on and off a train. Luggage goes underneath just like Greyhound.

Just another option.

where would you get off the bus and change to a cab? there seem to be 3 choices.

Archived