Why did they take my wine?!?!

Megs321

I have to remind myself that many people are not as anal as I am am do not read everything. I read, read, read anything I can get my hands on about the cruise, ports, FAQ's, etc. Unfortunately, all the non-anal people out there miss a lot of info because it is not in their nature to research. We all have our strengths and weaknesses. They may be very people oriented where I am not..... wish I did have that strength! :)

I have to remind myself that many people are not as anal as I am am do not read everything. I read, read, read anything I can get my hands on about the cruise, ports, FAQ's, etc. Unfortunately, all the non-anal people out there miss a lot of info because it is not in their nature to research. We all have our strengths and weaknesses. They may be very people oriented where I am not..... wish I did have that strength! :)

I wouldn't describe common sense as being anal.

The information is there to make our travels as enjoyable, and less stressful, as possible.

A little knowledge goes a long way. :)

Dear First Time Cruisers:

Please, please, please take the time to read the "what you need to know before you cruise" section on all cruise line websites. It will help solve a lot of disappointment and confusion.

Carnival's website clearly states that ANY beverages (soda, water, wine or champagne) that are brought on board MUST be with you in your carry-on.

Not trying to preach but just got done shaking my head after reading a different thread about how Carnival "forced" a family to pay gratuities and they were "never told" ahead of time, blah, blah, blah, blah...... :rolleyes:

Happy sailing.

This was a very open-minded and understanding response. Well said.

I keep reading people who post, I keep getting away with it .. dont listen, put it in your luggage like we do. Ours always makes it thru.

Surprise .. sometimes it doesnt. OP I hope you got it back the last night and could still enjoy it.

NO! They wouldn't let me get until the morning of disembarkation and the time slot to pick it up was 6:30am - 7:30am...lol Needless to say I picked it up and it came back to Texas with me....Lol, well now I know.

Read your travel documents.

Having seen the way bag get thrown around. I won’t put anything breakable in our luggage. Once a bag goes through the scanner a decision is made to look inside or not. Locking a bag will only delay when you get it back because you will need to go unlock it for it to be searched.

Dear First Time Cruisers:

Please, please, please take the time to read the "what you need to know before you cruise" section on all cruise line websites. It will help solve a lot of disappointment and confusion.

Carnival's website clearly states that ANY beverages (soda, water, wine or champagne) that are brought on board MUST be with you in your carry-on.

Not trying to preach but just got done shaking my head after reading a different thread about how Carnival "forced" a family to pay gratuities and they were "never told" ahead of time, blah, blah, blah, blah...... :rolleyes:

Happy sailing.

The forced post was a classic. Nothing like spreading around wrong info to everyone you know.

Rules are you can bring the wine but it must be in your carry on luggage. Any in your checked bags is subject to confiscation. Don't ask me why that makes a difference. Wine is wine to me. Maybe they do it so that you can't claim the 2 bottles you are carrying on is all that you have when you really have 2 more in your checked luggage.

I think you answered your own question. ;)

You could also check a lot of luggage and put a bottle in every piece. There's just no quick way for them to tell which luggage belongs to which passenger, and who has already hit their 1-bottle allotment.

Very good saying. Less threads about smugglers losing their stuff so wonder if they are not cracking down as much.

My boxes are still making it on.

I wonder if the box makes it on because, well, it's a box. I would think they would look for a bottle shape or something like that. I really think the shape has a lot to do with it.

We had no problems bringing 2 bottles of wine last cruise, they did remove them and look them over very carefully, they were 2 bottles of ice wine, so in much narrower bottles, and also they were from Wayne Gretzkys winery which is near where we live, so the security guy was loving the bottling and label of the wines, he said hes a huge hockey fan, he talked a little about it, and called another guard over to see the bottles, but no problems at all. Sorry they ruined your clothing, that had to be awful to carfully pack then have your dress ruined by the zipper :(

Wow! Bummer about messing your dress up with the zipper!:(

I've never had my luggage searched - but I was under the impression that when they scanned it and saw something "questionable" that they called you down to open it yourself. Yuck! I can't stand the thought of nasty hands touching my stuff. I'm gonna put bigger locks on my suitcases from now on. I dont ever put anything not allowed but who knows when a normal item will look suspicious !

I'm gonna put bigger locks on my suitcases from now on.

I can't disagree that I don't like the idea of the security morons pawing through our stuff, but bigger locks won't help. They'll just cut them off or even pop the zipper if they think they need to get into your luggage.

I can't stand the thought of nasty hands touching my stuff. I'm gonna put bigger locks on my suitcases from now on. I dont ever put anything not allowed but who knows when a normal item will look suspicious !

They do wear gloves, the thought of them touching other people belonging with their bare hands are just as nasty to them.

They do wear gloves, the thought of them touching other people belonging with their bare hands are just as nasty to them.

Well I wasn't implying that they were nasty people but that I doubt they wash their hands in between each search which would have to include picking up bag after bag that has been through airports, etc. Wearing gloves gives me no comfort - it may keep them from touching "nasty stuff" but unless they are changing gloves between each search than it's the same thing as nasty hands:(

Well I wasn't implying that they were nasty people but that I doubt they wash their hands in between each search which would have to include picking up bag after bag that has been through airports, etc. Wearing gloves gives me no comfort - it may keep them from touching "nasty stuff" but unless they are changing gloves between each search than it's the same thing as nasty hands:(

To avoid it completely you could carry on your bags or like many get the large ziplock bags and put all your clothes inside them.

I've got the wine/champagne rule down pat......but, can my 14 year old carry on a 12 pack of soda/water or is it limited to adults only?

Yes they can, I had two kids last month, one took a 12 pack of Dew and the other a 12 pack of Gatoraid, plus I carried on a 12 pack of diet 7-up as well as my bottle of wine, my wife had a 12 pack of ginger ale and her bottle of wine, no questions asked.

Yes they can, I had two kids last month, one took a 12 pack of Dew and the other a 12 pack of Gatoraid, plus I carried on a 12 pack of diet 7-up as well as my bottle of wine, my wife had a 12 pack of ginger ale and her bottle of wine, no questions asked.

Awesome....this is exactly what I needed to know! Thank you.

I just love posts like this one,no common sense that is. Our second to last trip my wifes one suitcase had RED WINE all over it,(from someone elses luggage) with about half her clothes ruined ( unwareable) for the duration of the trip. I guess it never occured to you that they could get broken from the lovely handling from the docki workers. We actually put all of our clothes now into plastic bags before plcing them into our luggage.

Archived