Entertainment On QM 2

rosler28

Of course, given that the good cap'n never seems to get off of QM2 (which is a good thing, it was a pleasure to chat with him :) ) I would say that there is a real celebrity/someone famous on every sailing these days...

And there is, of course, a certain Mr G Goun on the current westbound. How much celebrity can one ship handle?! :D

J

My opinions regarding evening entertainment mostly match the OP's.

Things I liked: the dancers' costumes were swell (though I didn't think the dancers were very good); the piano player in the Golden Lion (rollicking boogie-woogie stuff!); most of the vocalists were okay, if not outstanding, except for the big band singer; and karaoke in the Golden Lion was a hoot.

Things I didn't like: the sleep-inducing harp-plucker; the string quartet screetching and scratching their way through...something or another...couldn't tell just what they were playing; the big band orchestra in the Queens Ballroom (somebody needs to teach the rhythm section how to keep time); and the tinkly piano player in the Commodore Club (actually, I didn't like that place at all, though most love it).

Cunard isn't very different than any other line in that evening entertainment leaves a lot to be desired. However, Cunard excels during the day.

I very much enjoyed Cunard's daytime entertainment. I attended outstanding lectures and a couple of good movies in the Planetarium. One of the things I liked best was sitting around in the Winter Garden having a round-table conversation with fellow passengers who had a connection, however tenuous, with the original Queen Mary. Fascinating stuff.

Well Buckirj1, everyone's entitled to an opinion but your list of likes and dislikes will no doubt cause raised eyebrows from QM2's Cruise Director.

Let's get it right ....

you don't like the Big Band Singer

you don't like the harpist

you don't like the cocktail-pianist

you don't like the string-quartet

you don't like the Big Band Orchestra

and you don't like the Commodore Club

BUT ... you love the boogie-woogie and the karaoke in the Golden Lion Pub.

It seems to me that Cunard should take note of public opinion and get more with-it. The first step, of course, would be to replace the Queen's Grill with MacDonalds.

Are there any other suggestions for further improvements?

Foxy

Well Buckirj1, everyone's entitled to an opinion but your list of likes and dislikes will no doubt cause raised eyebrows from QM2's Cruise Director.

Let's get it right ....

you don't like the Big Band Singer

you don't like the harpist

you don't like the cocktail-pianist

you don't like the string-quartet

you don't like the Big Band Orchestra

and you don't like the Commodore Club

BUT ... you love the boogie-woogie and the karaoke in the Golden Lion Pub.

It seems to me that Cunard should take note of public opinion and get more with-it. The first step, of course, would be to replace the Queen's Grill with MacDonalds.

Are there any other suggestions for further improvements?

Foxy

Nah, Cunard got it right for the most part. One person's opinions surely shouldn't have so much influence; besides, we're each responsible for making our own fun. That's why QM2 is a ship with a lot of choices. The QM2 cruise director struck me as a true professional who'd happily discuss the likes and dislikes of guests.

No need for MacDonalds. The odd burger and fries craving can be dealt with most satisfactorily by the Chef's Galley at lunch or by room service at night.

Do they have any comedians on board ever?

There was a comedian on the TA from NY to Southampton June 10-17. We didn't see him, but our tablemates enjoyed his show.

I enjoyed the harpist, the quartet, many of the lectures, and even the pianist in the Commodore Club. the jazz in the pub was fun but over-crowded. WE were on one of the Julliard cruises, though, so perhaps they were not the "regulars"?

As I keep saying, the ship has some very talented entertainers but unfortunately they have to play to the Cunard script.

It is just not my scene but some people love it.

The Winter garden has to go in my opinion. To me it is a shockingly bad area.

Things I didn't like: the sleep-inducing harp-plucker; the string quartet screetching and scratching their way through...something or another...couldn't tell just what they were playing; the big band orchestra in the Queens Ballroom (somebody needs to teach the rhythm section how to keep time); and the tinkly piano player in the Commodore Club (actually, I didn't like that place at all, though most love it).

You didn't like Hannah the harpist?! Not everyone likes the harp? I jest but what you didn't like were exactly the things I enjoyed very much on my May crossing. I think the thing that did impress me the most about the entertainment was the variety. You might have to look but I think most will find something they like. As they say, it's difficult to please everyone all the time.

And I enjoyed Hannah's playing very much and got to talk to her, she's a very nice young woman. The shows, for me, were perfect after a meal when I just wanted to relax and take it in.

Given the content of another thread here, I am of the opinion that there is no need for Cunard to pay for entertainers.

There would appear to be ample opportunity for amusement watching fellow passengers opening doors without touching handles, pressing buttons for decks in lifts with their elbows, and generally engaging in a game of moving around the vessel without actually touching it.

It's a bit reminiscent of the game of guiding a loop along a wire without touching it.

:)

thranite,

I have never observed this, was there some sort of viral outbreak? Static electricity?

They have people who claim to be comedians :rolleyes: Is that what you mean? (I think their production shows are excellent but the other acts are not good.)

They have loads of comedians on board - but I've never seen one perform in the theatre.

Here's an example. I'm on board Queen Elizabeth and I get in the lift wearing my "Queen Mary 2" sweatshirt. A guy gets in the lift with me and somewhere between deck 5 and deck 11 he says "You know I hate to tell you this..." and I say "What?", and he says "You're on the wrong ship! Ha ha ha!" Hilarious. :D:D:D

Then there are the ones who pop up on every cruise I've ever done - they see me festooned with cameras and they say "Wow! With all that gear you you must have got some terrific shots of the whales/dolphins/porpoises/giant squid/icthyosaurs/yetis* this morning"

HA BLOODY HA!

I've never seen a whale yet! :(:(

Yup, loads of comedians.

J

* = delete as appropriate

I have just returned from the June 10 TA and we saw the comedian perform, I think his name was John Joseph, he was very funny. Dr. Ruth was on the ship as well so he made lots of jokes about that. He also interacted with the audience quite a bit. Anyone who came in late was a target. We were laughing the whole way through. There was also an opera singer Jennifer Fair, who was very good and very gracious. We saw every show and I agree they are a bit dated but they have such a wide range of ages and nationalities to please. I tend to feel sorry for the performers as half the audience is asleep. The talent is definitetly there, the dancers are amazing and the orchestra is too.

We used to go to more shows that we do now - we never do the production shows (not my cup of tea) but have seen some reasonable comedians and the one I recall with the most pleasure - a juggling unicycler - on the North Atlantic, which had a delightful lunacy that appealed.

But one doesn't get great acts, but then would one expect to? It's forty five minutes to an hour of pleasant diversion. Don't expect too much, and you'll be far happier. Or just go for a drink instead - which is our preferred option now.

WD

I find it hard to regognize the String Quartet that you describe, they are four very talented girls and there is not a scratch or screetch during their performances, the fact that you didn't know that music that they played says more about you than them. The pianists in the Commodore Club are also very talented musicians. The harpist does have a plucking style as opposed to the more gentle flowing style which I much prefer.

I find it hard to regognize the String Quartet that you describe, they are four very talented girls and there is not a scratch or screetch during their performances, the fact that you didn't know that music that they played says more about you than them. The pianists in the Commodore Club are also very talented musicians. The harpist does have a plucking style as opposed to the more gentle flowing style which I much prefer.

Whereas I have to agree about the string quartet - at least when I have been aboard. Perhaps one gets spoilt by the Amadeus and Italian Quartets, but I'd rather not have the string quartet at dinner.

Whilst I'm not a particular fan of the harp, I do think it is the best background music - it stays in the background. Far too frequently the musicians in the bars are simply too loud. This appears to be worst in the Chart Room.

WD

Whereas I have to agree about the string quartet - at least when I have been aboard. Perhaps one gets spoilt by the Amadeus and Italian Quartets, but I'd rather not have the string quartet at dinner.

Why? Are their table manners really that bad?

J

We used to go to more shows that we do now - we never do the production shows (not my cup of tea) but have seen some reasonable comedians and the one I recall with the most pleasure - a juggling unicycler - on the North Atlantic, which had a delightful lunacy that appealed.

Sounds like the juggler on QE2 who grabbed the edge of the upper level for balance and appeared to pull off one of the speaker covers (just a dummy one there for him to pull off). He was great. I met his wife at a reception in the Ward Room, and we had an interesting talk about the performers. I said that the troupe (Broadway Bound) were terrible. She said that the individual performers were actually quite talented, but were given terrible material to work with.

Whilst I'm not a particular fan of the harp, I do think it is the best background music - it stays in the background. Far too frequently the musicians in the bars are simply too loud. This appears to be worst in the Chart Room.

WD

I hate overly loud music. The last time we were on QM2, we enjoyed the Chart Room music from the comfort of Sir Samuel's.

Archived