Maasdam port change

crazy4cruisn

I do not know it this is related or not, but when I spent a week on Cape Cod in October there were articles in the local newspaper about the displeasure of some folks from Martha's Vinyard about being overrun with cruise ship passengers when a ship was in port. (I was staying about 10 miles from where the Martha's Vinyard ferry reaches the mainland.)

We were on the Maasdam Montreal to Norfolk cruise Oct/2004. Martha's Vineyard was, in my opinion, already closed for the season. I can believe some of the local people would have felt overrun while we were in port as many local spots were closed, crowding the few that remained. It was beautiful, DW and myself did some great walking but having been to both locations-tho not recently to Newport-I would have to 'opine' it as a positive change, at least at that time of the year.

Mike

Both are tender ports, but Martha's Vineyard has a history of very rough seas. In Newport the ship will be in Narragansett Bay and the tendering is much easier.

I don't know if that's the reason or not, but it's a possibility.

Newport is a very nice city to visit. Come tour the "summer cottages", visit the Tennis Hall of Fame. Shop right across the street from the tender dock.

Leave lots of $$$ for the local and state economy. ;)

Have to agree with Mike that so much is closed on The Vineyard by the middle of October that may be one reason. Also, there is so much more to see and do in Newport and a very wise choice on HAL's part to change the itinerary. Don't think you will be disappointed with the change.

Does anyone know if there are tours for this area like Greyline that would tour the mansions at this time (23 of Oct)? About how far from port are they located? I guess you could take a taxi. I really don't care for the crowded bus tours from ship. I wonder also about private guides?

Thanks for the help!

You have to do at least a few mansions.

You do not have to take a ship tour. After you get off the ship, take a left to the Tourist center. You can buy a ticket for The Breakers plus another mansion. You can also purchase the trolley ticket for all day. The mansion tours were under $30 for 2. The trolley was about $8 for the day if my memory serves me right.

We did The Breakers and Marble House which was more than enough for my husband. There is plenty of shopping and some great restaurants on the waterfront. We were there in Oct 2002.

The mansions are open all year. I believe that each one will be closed one day of the week, so you might not have your first choice available on the day the ship docks.

Do visit Rosecliff. I toured that as the third in one day, and felt the most "at home" there. After The Breakers and Marble House I knew I could live in this one.

There are other mansions not part of the Historical Society group, too. Don't forget to research them.

Archived