Progeso, Cozumel & Belize City - Snorkel ?

ferretface

Cruising in 01/06 from Carnival Elation and am wondering where the best place is to snorkel? Also, do we go with the cruise ship excursions or book our own and if "yes" with who? This is only our 2nd cruise in 5 yrs and I'm a worry wort so am concerned about making it back to the ship before it sails!! Any assistance would be greatly appreciated :)

Hi guys;

Welcome to the ELATION. We sailed on her the last 2 years. Nice ship, good food an service, and we would not hesitate to book her again.

Progreso is not a good snorkel spot. The water is not clear but the beautiful beach can be had for a short walk from the bus drop at the end of the pier. Resturants on the malecon serve up some good chow and the Corona Girls sell Coronas with a lanyard and tatoo fo $1@. There is not much in town but there are mayan ruins nearby and a tour of Merida seems to be popular. We loafed on the beach and loved it. Our first trip we visited Dzibilchaltun. Nice trip, but would not go again.

Cozamel is my favoritie tourist trap. Snorkeling is excellant at Dzul-Ha or some of the private beaches and Paradise Beach is great for loafing. My favorite is Chankanaab Park. Beautiful, lots to see and excellant snorkeling. All can be had for the price of a taxi and in some cases a nominal fee.

Belize is a place to take a tour. We booked online with Wet& Wild and went cave tubing. Very professional and over all, an excellant trip. My brother-in-law booked a snorkel tour on the pier after talking to some of the locals. They got a 4 hour trip to an island for $40 and the tour took them back to the ship so they didn't have to tender. If you worry about missing your boat, book a ship cruise. If you are tight with your money and like to take chances. go on your own.

Hope that this helps.

Have a great trip and eat a shrimp for me.

Clackey

For Cozumel, I would recommend Chankanaab.......About a $10 taxi cab ride (per taxi, not per person) and $12 admission per person (kids may be less). It's a great place to spend a relaxing day. Great snorkeling, botanical gardens, mayan ruins (replicas----interesting, not cheesy), no vendors on the beach. This is very easy and safe to do on your own. Just go to the taxi stand, confirm the price before getting in the taxi, and off you go (the taxi stand has prices posted, makes it easy). When you're ready to head back to the ship, there will be taxis ready to bring you back.....again, confirm the price before getting in.

For Belize, I would recommend a ship's tour, as it will save you time tendering (the ship's tours pick you up and drop you off right at the ship--if you are taking a snorkeling or water tour). We took the Goff's Caye excursion; overall was fine, but snorkeling was way better at Chankanaab. You might be able to find a better price on your own, but, some other posters have said, that, in Belize, the price difference wasn't that much (depends what you are looking for).

we went to belize on our own last year, and the snorkeling on the reef near Ambergris Key was awesome. Don't miss Hol Chan and Shark-ray Alley. In Hol Chan we saw, a few fish, but the amazing things were Green Moray Eels, spotted eagle rays, and nurse sharks. The eagle rays glided one after another just below us. In shark ray alley you can get in the water with the nurse sharks and sting-rays. It is no where near the crowded scene that Stingray city in Grand Caymen seems to be, but it is also a little less controlled and you can't stand on the bottom. We also snorkeled at Mexico rocks there and saw lots of fish, lobster, reef crabs, baracudas, and beautiful displays of fire coral.This was the best snorkeling we had ever experienced.

Archived