Question for those that have flown from NY/ esat coast to LA

rene194215

I have a question that might seem a little odd.. I thought I read something somethere that when flying to CA that you fly over the Rocky Mountains... Is this true? I know that each flight will not have the same path but I was wondering if anyone has flown and seen them from the plane...

Thanks!

The Rocky Mountains run from Canada to New Mexico. So unless you are flying LA to Atlanta or Miami, yes, you will fly over the Rocky Mountains. If the mountains are not covered by clouds, yes you can see them.

I have a question that might seem a little odd.. I thought I read something somethere that when flying to CA that you fly over the Rocky Mountains... Is this true? I know that each flight will not have the same path but I was wondering if anyone has flown and seen them from the plane...

Thanks!

I have flown it many, many times...Nowadays, I hardly pay it much notice...

Obviously, first...it depends on WHEN you fly...at night you'll see nothing...and the weather...often it's just clouds...

So, if it's clear and it's day light...and, of course, if you have a window seat and it's not over the wing, you'll see something...

But, remember, some sections are more impressive than others...

...and the angle you are seeing them from may not be what you expect either...you are looking down...

You are typically just seeing miles and miles of rough terrain...

There are more impressive mountains to fly over...Just as you are entering the LA area, there are some flight paths (usually more likely flying in from points Northeast) that take you over the San Bernardinos--which are a steeper range...and a greater drop from summit to base...and being that you are flying at a lower elevation since you are only miles from landing...that can be far more impressive...

If you are into mountains and you want to see the MOST IMPRESSIVE range of mountains in the US, rent a car and drive from LA north up 395 toward Mammoth...The highest mountains in the Continental US are the Southern Sierra Nevada, topping off at Mt. Whitney at 14,494 feet above sea level (14,505 according to some sources)...But, the amazing thing is that, while the base of the Colorado Rockies is already over a mile high, the Southern Sierra rise to that height in rapid fashion from below sea level...Death Valley is within miles of the Sierras...

Route 395 goes up a narrow gorge in the High Desert (the Owens Valley) between the Sierra and the White Mountains to the East which range up to 14,253 (White Mountain Peak) on the other side...

The Sierra were formed by a giant earthquake and uplifting of the earth's crust right along the base leaving an incredibly steep solid wall of mountain 400 miles long...

1000px-SierraEscarpmentCA.jpg

I have flown it many, many times...Nowadays, I hardly pay it much notice...

Obviously, first...it depends on WHEN you fly...at night you'll see nothing...and the weather...often it's just clouds...

So, if it's clear and it's day light...and, of course, if you have a window seat and it's not over the wing, you'll see something...

But, remember, some sections are more impressive than others...

...and the angle you are seeing them from may not be what you expect either...you are looking down...

1000px-SierraEscarpmentCA.jpg

Well hopefully you are looking down.

My favorite was a window seat on the east side of the plane when flying from Burbank to Sacramento. I had a great view of Yosemite Valley. Second was a window seat on the west side of the plane when flying from Los Angeles to Seattle. We flew over a mountain that was missing one side. That of course would be Mt. St. Helens (or at least half of it).

Yes, there are plenty of mountains to be seen on your way west. Are you stopping over somewhere or a direct flight? Depending on flight path, weather, time of day, where you sit obviously but you might see some peaks, with snow on some of them still. I have flown over the Grand Canyon and Yosemite coming back to LA, with the captain announcing the views below. Hope you luck out!

Bruin Steve - is that your own picture? I honesty haven't seen the Owen Valley on a flight to LA but maybe I wasn't looking. People who have flown to Mammoth have told me it was an amazing approach, probably similar to that picture you posted.

Thanks for the quick replies... My flight out is 7am from JFK and landing in LA around 10am pacific time. I am hopeful that I will be able to see something!

Would it be better to sit on the right side of the plane rather then the left?

Bruin Steve - is that your own picture? I honesty haven't seen the Owen Valley on a flight to LA but maybe I wasn't looking. People who have flown to Mammoth have told me it was an amazing approach, probably similar to that picture you posted.

Chinita, I wish it was...but, no, I pirated it, sad to say...It's just such a great photo...I've never flown into Mammoth, but have made that drive quite often...I did fly into South Lake Tahoe back in the "old days" of the now defunct PSA...and that's a pretty incredibly fly-in, weather permitting...

Thanks for the quick replies... My flight out is 7am from JFK and landing in LA around 10am pacific time. I am hopeful that I will be able to see something!

I don't think you can predict an advantage vis-a-vis the Rockies ro the Grand Canyon...The plane can take a number of routes which would impact what side of the plane which peaks or canyons might show up on...

Immediately approaching LA, the right side is better...because you will be passing to the south of the San Bernardinos, San Gabriels and Santa Monicas...and the Hollywood Sign...

san-bernardino-mountains.jpg

Of course, most of the year, you won't see that snow...

Well, you certainly don't want to sit on the wrong side - so I would choose the right side.

Archived