NOLA late evening arrival

starr52

Right now, it looks like the cheapest flight we can get arrives at NOLA at 8:30 pm. Trying to decide if we should just stay out near the airport or at another location. Any suggestions?

I am not sure it really matters if you stay by the airport or go into downtown. I think the best thing to do is see the price difference in hotels. It would take about 30 minutes (maybe 25 since there will not be traffic at that time) to get from Kenner to the area in New Orleans where the cruise terminal is. Chances are, the hotels are going to be cheaper by the airport. They are the basic, chain hotels in that area. The airport is in Kenner, which is surrounded by suburbs, close to a mall, and lots of restaurants (mostly chains). If you plan to do sightseeing that very night (the French Quarter never "closes"), then I would say go into downtown and stay in the French Quarter, which is very close to the cruise pier.

How many days are in you town before the cruise leaves?

If you stay in Kenner/Metairie, you could get up early and head downtown. You can check you luggage in and then go sightseeing. I know that you can do this by about 10:00AM but you should call the New Orleans terminal and try to get details to make sure. You wouldn't be able to start check in but can drop off you luggage (but again, call for details.) You are within walking distance of the French Quarter but depending on what you want to see in the FQ, you may need a taxi.

Thanks so much for your input. We will come in the day before the cruise. I think for now, I will hold tight and see if for some miraculous reason the airfares drop a bit. That way we could come in earlier!

Thanks so much for your input. We will come in the day before the cruise. I think for now, I will hold tight and see if for some miraculous reason the airfares drop a bit. That way we could come in earlier!

Are you near the Denver airport? Have you checked Southwest Airlines? I just connected through Denver to San Fran and I know there are several flights.

I agree about the FQ never closing, we were delayed and did not arrive until almost 8pm we were staying near port and by the time we dropped of our luggage and walked to the FQ it was 9. It was crazy! If your not planing to go there than the airport might be an option. I think some of the hotels have free shuttle near the airport but none of them have them near the FQ. Taxi is $33 for 2 and $14pp for 3 or more. Taxi to pier from FQ is $7pp no matter how close you are.We thought we could walk since we could see the ship but you really can't.

Well I think we're going to book something in the FQ on the evening of arrival. We should be able to hit a few bars and possibly hear some New Orleans Jazz!!! And of course it goes without saying enjoy some local food:D

Archived