SANYA-VISA? YES or NO??????????

glutenhab

Has anyone visited Sanya, China as their only Chinese port (besides Hong Kong) WITHOUT a VISA?

Although I am not positive, I believe that a visa is needed for US or Canadian citizens visiting Sanya, the same visa as for mainland China.

Scott & Karen

I was there on Costa on New Years Day 2010. As a Canadian citizen, we required a visa to exit the cruise terminal. They are pretty easy to obtain (turnaround is under a week) but I expect it it to be a little easier for me to get to their consular office in Toronto from London, then it would be for you to get to Ottawa from St. John's :-) Just be aware that their Ottawa office will not handle visa applications directly -- you can find details here: http://ca.china-embassy.org/eng/lsfw/Chinese%20Visa/t37727.htm -- specifically point six.

Scott.

• 2 weeks later...
I was there on Costa on New Years Day 2010. As a Canadian citizen, we required a visa to exit the cruise terminal. They are pretty easy to obtain (turnaround is under a week) but I expect it it to be a little easier for me to get to their consular office in Toronto from London, then it would be for you to get to Ottawa from St. John's :-) Just be aware that their Ottawa office will not handle visa applications directly -- you can find details here: http://ca.china-embassy.org/eng/lsfw/Chinese%20Visa/t37727.htm -- specifically point six.

Scott.

HAL told me in an e-mail that we would NOT need a visa for Sanya.

Are you telling me that they would not let you leave Sanya if you had not had a visa? Did you visit Sanya only? And was it by cruise ship for a day stop only?

I would still check with the Embassy directly (or a Visa service for the most up-to-date info) --- sometimes the cruise lines don't have the correct information or don't give youi enough time

to do the necessary paperwork. Too expensive/too long a trip to

wait for the last minute or being denied admittance to the port. JMO

HAL told me in an e-mail that we would NOT need a visa for Sanya.

Are you telling me that they would not let you leave Sanya if you had not had a visa? Did you visit Sanya only? And was it by cruise ship for a day stop only?

The cruise was 14-day roundtrip out of Hong Kong, and the only mainland China stop was Sanya - and it was a half day at that. At that time (New Year's Day 2010) Canadian citizens were required to have a single entry visa and a photocopy of the details page of their passports (which Costa provided) in hand before we could be individually cleared by immigration and allowed to proceed downstairs in Sanya's cruise terminal.

Given that HAL's CS can be inconsistent, I would confirm with the Chinese Embassy in Ottawa (http://ca.china-embassy.org/eng/lsfw/) with your particulars. They (not HAL) will be the best arbiters of deciding under what condition(s) your particular situation might fall.

Scott.

Archived