Dawn/Star - 2 bedroom family suite questions

rajones007

I'm looking to take my 2nd cruise and this time in addition to taking just my girlfriend, I'm thinking of taking her 2 teenage kids too (15 and 13). My GF and I are both 45. We're looking at late Nov 2011 or early Dec 2011, either the Star out of Tampa for the W. Caribbean or the Dawn out of Miami for the 10 day S. Caribbean.

I've spent the last week reading, and reading, and searching, and searching, and reading. It's difficult to find specific answers, so I apologize if these have been asked-and-answered. These are asked simply to satisfy my, my GF, and her kids curiousity.

RE: the 2 bedroom family suite.

-the balcony...the only photo I've seen of the balcony seems to show a window-like object in the middle of the divider. It's hard to tell exactly what it is (and I can't find the photo any more). Surely there isn't a window to look into your neighbours balcony, right? How is the privacy on the balcony? On Princess they had dividers up and they were fairly private, but the dividers between neighbours didn't go floor-to-ceiling. There was maybe a foot open on the top and on the bottom. Can some kind person give me a good description of the balcony area?

-does the small bedroom have a closet or drawers of some kind? If so, where is it? I initially thought there was a closet, but it turned out to be the shower. It's difficult to find a decent photo of this bedroom.

-is there a solid divider between the living room area and the master bedroom/bathroom area? Like a pocket-door or something?

-is there a divider between the master bathroom and master bedroom area? I see the drapes at the foot of the bed, but is there something else, by the makeup table perhaps? To be perfectly honest, I don't like the idea of having those drapes closed while I'm laying in bed trying to sleep. I'm funny that way, I guess.

-I see there is a window over the bathtub and another window in shower. There appears to be some sort of shade that can be pulled down over each window. But it doesn't look solid. What kind of material is that shade made of and does it provide ample privacy if we're in port?

-Due to my GF susceptibility to motion sickness, I'd like a cabin as close to midship as possible. But it looks like 2 bedroom family suites closest to midship (11060 and 11560, to be exact) are directly below the pool lounge area. Will this be an issue as far as noise is concerned? I know on Princess, cruisers directly below the Lido deck were awakened at 5AM every morning with the sounds of deck chairs and lounges being dragged around.

Any other thoughts would be greatly appreciated. I'm really looking forward to trying NCL, it's just a matter of picking which itinierary we want. I'm good for the 10 say southern, but I'm wondering if the kids will find it quite long.

Thanks for your help.

To eliminate all of the concerns you have about curtains, and shades, and windows, and location, you might want to consider 2 balcony (or minisuite) cabins with a connecting door. It would give you everything you're looking for, except for the couple of inch space below your balcony divider. This way, you might even be able to open your balcony divider to get a double size balcony.

I don't believe I've ever seen a window in the balcony divider, but they have to leave a gap at the bottom for water to slosh though. I can't answer any of your other suite questions regarding shades, curtains, drawers, or windows.

DH and I were in 11560 in Nov/10, so I'm going by memory.

-- I thought the balcony would be larger, same size as balcony cabin. If neighbours are looking over their balcony, they can see into your balcony.

--Small bedroom has a few drawers behind the door. I think a few shelves too.

--Yes, there's a door, sliding I believe

--no, only a drape that goes from wall to wall

--when the shades are pulled down, there's amble privacy

--we had no issues with noise

We enjoyed this suite. It is beautiful and we found it very large and comfortable, however it was just the 2 of us. Hope this helps.

The divider looks like a 'window' but it is smoky so it is not see thru. (Like a bathroom window in your home.) There is a gap on the top and bottom and a vary narrow gap at the sides. (Maybe an inch.)

Archived