Scubagirl, Question Re Jet Skis and Snorkling

mousey

How old do you have to be to drive your own jet ski in the Nassau? I'm cruising in Aug. with my 16 yr.-old son and his 17 yr.-old friend. They for sure don't want toride on the back with the DH and myself. I know in Mexico they are a little lax with the rules but I don't know about the Bahamas. Also, we would like to take a snorkeling tour. Where is the best spot for snorkeling in the Nassau and do you have any suggestions as to what outfit gives you the best bang for your buck regarding snorkeling excursions? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.:D Also, are there any sports outfits that take you water skiing? The boys mentioned that as something they might like to do. Thanks Scubagirl for any info.:)

How old do you have to be to drive your own jet ski in the Nassau? I'm cruising in Aug. with my 16 yr.-old son and his 17 yr.-old friend. They for sure don't want toride on the back with the DH and myself. I know in Mexico they are a little lax with the rules but I don't know about the Bahamas. Also, we would like to take a snorkeling tour. Where is the best spot for snorkeling in the Nassau and do you have any suggestions as to what outfit gives you the best bang for your buck regarding snorkeling excursions? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.:D Also, are there any sports outfits that take you water skiing? The boys mentioned that as something they might like to do. Thanks Scubagirl for any info.:)

legally you have to be 18 to drive a jet ski. Some are lax. But then again.. you are not insured, so it's a risk. We have serious jet ski accidents every season. It's unregulated and the gov't has been trying to shut them down.

As for snorkeling tours.. blue hole water sports at the Hilton is the best bang for the buck. Stuart Coves is the best adventure and Seahorse sailing adventures or Flying Cloud is the most popular.

There's a water ski boat that I see from time to time, but not often. Haven't seen it around in months. They used to work off of Breezes beach.

Scubagirl,

Thanks so much for your response. I really don't want the boys handling their own jet skis as teenagers are notorious for making stupid choices but the DH disagrees with me. It's a guy thing I guess!:eek: Thanks again for the info.

Scubagirl,

Thanks so much for your response. I really don't want the boys handling their own jet skis as teenagers are notorious for making stupid choices but the DH disagrees with me. It's a guy thing I guess!:eek: Thanks again for the info.

Maybe he should talk to the man who ran over his neice when she fell off. Jet ski's are not toys. If your boys don't have dirt bikes or quads, I'd say they should stay out of the drivers seat.

we just got back and my 14 (almost 15) year old son drove his own jet ski. We went to Junkanoo in Freeport. we just had to sign a waiver. There were only a few jet skis going- not alot of traffic so I felt OK with it. Gave him a million rules:)

they did not ask his age.

we just got back and my 14 (almost 15) year old son drove his own jet ski. We went to Junkanoo in Freeport. we just had to sign a waiver. There were only a few jet skis going- not alot of traffic so I felt OK with it. Gave him a million rules:)

they did not ask his age.

I'm surprised. Gov't supposed to be cracking down on this.

Jet ski's aren't toys.

I'm surprised. Gov't supposed to be cracking down on this.

Jet ski's aren't toys.

How do they crack down on it though? There were no police or anyone around to check. i agree not toys. I was nervous letting him do it. He's not a dare devil and does listen to the rules.

How do they crack down on it though? There were no police or anyone around to check. i agree not toys. I was nervous letting him do it. He's not a dare devil and does listen to the rules.

There are supposed to be police at Junkanoo Beach, but I think a little payoff makes them turn their heads. I'm even more surprised that there was a disclaimer. A bold move when it's supposed to be illegal.

Junkanoo is not known for it's accidents.. but we have fatal accidents in Nassau every season.. and quite a few serious accidents. Just too many vehicles in the water with swimmers nearby.. and those who don't know how to drive one.

There are supposed to be police at Junkanoo Beach, but I think a little payoff makes them turn their heads. I'm even more surprised that there was a disclaimer. A bold move when it's supposed to be illegal.

Junkanoo is not known for it's accidents.. but we have fatal accidents in Nassau every season.. and quite a few serious accidents. Just too many vehicles in the water with swimmers nearby.. and those who don't know how to drive one.

Now that I think about it the dislaimer did not list ages or who was driving. It just had the parents sign and list kids names. I also did see a man that had a white uniform on but it just said Security on it.

Now that I think about it the dislaimer did not list ages or who was driving. It just had the parents sign and list kids names. I also did see a man that had a white uniform on but it just said Security on it.

Most of those vehicle are not in great condition and are uninsured.

A big problem in this industry. Not just for vehicle damage, but for personal injury.

Archived