Charleston Cruise Port Problems with the Hometown Crowd?

Eng23

Having read the news here on CC about the troubles that some homegrown activists in Charleston, S.C. are causing, does anyone think that Carnival will weigh anchor and send the Fascination somewhere else? I'm not trying to start a war but only wondering what others opinions are. :)

She's the Fantasy. Carnival is not showing her on the schedule after next spring, but that's true for some other ships too, so I wouldn't draw any inference from that.

The suit brought by those "homegrown activists" is without merit, even frivolous, and should be thrown out by any sane judge. The Mayor and the City are outraged, and back not just Carnival but the basic concept of a modest (1 berth/2 ships a week) cruise presence for the Holy City as part of its appeal as a tourism destination and as a working port city, which it has been for hundreds of years.

Unfortunately, the damage may already be done. The fact that a suit was filed will have a chilling effect on the icruise ndustry here for a long time to come. If it is not summarily dismissed, it could take years to resolve.

The majority of residents in the area have no problem with Carnival and the planned modest cruise terminal enhancements. The "activists" are however a tiny but extremely vocal group making "big waves". I sincerely hope CCL doesn't get cold feet while all this is sorted out, but won't be surprised if they do. It would be a serious blow to the area's tourism-related industry.

She's the Fantasy. Carnival is not showing her on the schedule after next spring, but that's true for some other ships too, so I wouldn't draw any inference from that.

The suit brought by those "homegrown activists" is without merit, even frivolous, and should be thrown out by any sane judge. The Mayor and the City are outraged, and back not just Carnival but the basic concept of a modest (1 berth/2 ships a week) cruise presence for the Holy City as part of its appeal as a tourism destination and as a working port city, which it has been for hundreds of years.

Unfortunately, the damage may already be done. The fact that a suit was filed will have a chilling effect on the icruise ndustry here for a long time to come. If it is not summarily dismissed, it could take years to resolve.

The majority of residents in the area have no problem with Carnival and the planned modest cruise terminal enhancements. The "activists" are however a tiny but extremely vocal group making "big waves". I sincerely hope CCL doesn't get cold feet while all this is sorted out, but won't be surprised if they do. It would be a serious blow to the area's tourism-related industry.

Hello. I posted that it was the Fascination due to an article I read, but it does not matter which ship it is. Hopefully someone can rally those who support the cruise industry to be as vocal as the activists are. You are correct that it would be a big blow to lose the cruise business due to a vocal few who are challenging Carnival in court. I was also wondering if it will cost Carnival more than it is worth to challenge the suit. Hopefully the courts will see the suit as frivolous or without merit and dismiss it.

Archived