Great Snorkeling at Snorkeling Park Bernuda

peggy1

I have snorkeled several times at Snorkel Park and have been less than impressed. However last week while there on the Summit I spoke to a staff member there and found the most beautiful snorkeling. You have to go on the other side of the rocks jutting out into the little unimpressive beach area and look for the brown reef that you run into almost immediately and keep going. We went out alot further than we normally do and saw the most incredible schools of fish and okay now you are going to doubt this but here goes. We say a HUGE lobster. From antenae to tail, it was about 5 feet long. I wouldn't believe it if I hadn't seen it. We actually saw it again on our way back in. There are huge parrot fish and the most beautiful light blue angel-like fish that swam around us . The brain coral, sea fans and elkhorn coral were something. We just snorkeled in Looe Key in Florida and we have snorkeled in Bora Bora, actually all over and this was great snorkeling. We had snorkeled at Church Bay the day before and it was the calmest we have seen it and it was okay, but nothing like the Snorkel Park. Just wanted to give people a head's up.

................look for the brown reef that you run into almost immediately and keep going. We went out alot further than we normally do and saw the most incredible schools of fish -

Quick Question: How far out is "alot further" ? Just curious.....Will we need to be traveling (swimming/snorkeling) out for 10-20-30 minutes to get to the good area ?

Sounds amazing and this has been added to our "bucket list" for Bermuda (if) it is not too far out for us : )

• 4 weeks later...

DH found the snorkelling to be pretty good, following the directions of peggy1, to the left of the jetty. He estimates that the distance "out" was <100 feet. There was not much to see on the right of the jetty. We had planned a private snorkelling trip for that day which was cancelled as the ocean was too choppy and went to SnorkelPark as a back up but he was very pleased with the experience.The only downside was the $10 rental for mask and snorkel ($10 extra for fins but they really weren't needed in that area) so it would be a good $ saver if you can bring your own equipment.

DH found the snorkelling to be pretty good, following the directions of peggy1, to the left of the jetty. He estimates that the distance "out" was <100 feet. There was not much to see on the right of the jetty. We had planned a private snorkelling trip for that day which was cancelled as the ocean was too choppy and went to SnorkelPark as a back up but he was very pleased with the experience.The only downside was the $10 rental for mask and snorkel ($10 extra for fins but they really weren't needed in that area) so it would be a good $ saver if you can bring your own equipment.

Hi - Thanks for the update and additional information. Too bad that your Snorkeling trip was cancelled....I hope that the rest of your trip went off well and without a hitch! 100 Feet is doable for us (and) we do bring our own mask/snorkel.

One other quick question.....Is it true that there is a lot of broken glass (not Sea Glass) on the Beach at Snorkel Park, making it a bit perilous to walk around ?

Thanks- the entire trip was great- the rescheduled snorkelling was only a small hiccup.

We did not see any broken glass on the beach (but my idea of a good beach day is to find some sun/shade and set up my chair and read so I didnt walk the entire beach) and DH was in the water most of the time. There were a fair number of people there and I did not hear anyone complain. The shallow water was kind of rocky though.

One other quick question.....Is it true that there is a lot of broken glass (not Sea Glass) on the Beach at Snorkel Park, making it a bit perilous to walk around ?

I was there on June 17th - on my own, as DH and DD went on a kayak excursion. I found one piece of broken glass - nothing like what was described in past posts - so maybe they got their act together and cleaned up the beach. It isn't the prettiest or nicest beach in the world, but it was a good choice for me, since I was on my own and wanted to make sure I got back to the ship in plenty of time for our departure.

Archived