Meeeooowww!!!

bucsat1

icon1.gifMeeeooowww!

Precruiseitis has reached the point that I have begun doing strange things. I am daydreaming and wandering to the extent that the cat doesn't want anything to do with me. The other day I was looking through the volumes of info I have accumulated on EOtS and the cat came into my office, making that noise he makes when he wants a little bowl of afternoon milk. Papers in hand, I headed for the kitchen and continued reading as I attended to his needs. In order, the following occurred:

1) I opened the fridge and removed the milk carton from the top shelf, placing it on the counter.

2) I opened the cupboard and removed a small milk saucer, placing it next to the carton on the counter.

3) I opened the carton and poured some milk into the saucer.

4) Still reading with the papers now resting on the counter next to the saucer, I placed the saucer in its usual place on the kitchen floor.

5) Without skipping a beat, I placed the milk carton on the floor next to the saucer.

6) Anxious to get back to my reading and the boards on cruisecritic, I picked up the cat and placed him on the top shelf of the refrigerator. (I swear)

7) I hurried back to my office and continued with my favorite pasttime.

About 2 minutes later, I noticed the plaintive, muffled sounds of kitty coming from the kitchen area. At first I dismissed them completely. Shortly however, I recall being a tad bit aggravated that he was still complaining even after I had given him his afternoon milk. Slowly, but surely, the strangeness of the sound he was making began to permeate my cruise-addled brain, and I looked up from my desk in the direction of the kitchen. To my astonishment, instead of happy kitty busily lapping at his milk saucer, I beheld a silent, motionless, sweating milk carton peering disinterestedly back at me.

I must confess that it took a few seconds to sink in. Why in the heck was there a milk carton on the ground? For one brief instant, I considered absurdly the possibility that the cat had finished his milk and wanting more, somehow had opened the icebox, and gotten the milk out by himself. Of course he wouldn't be able to screw the cap off ...

I jumped up in a rare lucid moment and sprinted to the kitchen, finally understanding the meaning of the strange scene. What I wouldn't give to have had the digital camera at the ready when I opened the door. Sassy was sitting squarely in the middle of the top shelf between the cream cheese and last night's container of meatloaf, apparently having not moved at all. The look on his face was one of patient disgust. Can you blame him? For the sake of my family, and my cat, this cruise needs to happen soon! Come on March 27!!!

Explorer of the Seas - 3/27/05

Thank you, thank you, thank you!!! I have not laughed so hard in a long time! I am still laughing and having to dab my eyes because I laughed so hard I cried. I even called my DH in to read it to him. He already thinks I have precruiseitis, and we don't sail for another 162 days! Anyway, as he walked away, he commented that he better keep an eye out for a small chihuahua in the fridge!

Thanks for such a great laugh. Have a great time on your cruise. :D

That was a riot! I've been distracted in my life but not to that extreme. I have three cats and I can just visualize the 23lb fat blob sitting (most likely laying) on the shelf in the refrigerator. The other two would freak out and knock everything over . Thank you so much for the laugh.. it made my day! Definitely going to pass this on to a few people!

Definitely time for you to go on a cruise!:D

LetsParty's post could have written by me...if our marmalade cat, Max, had gone on a diet! He weighs about 28 pounds and I would barely be able lift him into the fridge. The other two cats would spaz out, like yours. I know I've done some weird precruise things, but this was a hoot! Thanks for sharing!

Hi Sicsinohio:

A 28lb cat.. WOW... I bet you can barely lift him! We try picking up Shadow and if we lay him on his back he can't breathe. Shadow has more fat names than anything else. Just more to love that's all but he has such a cute fat face! Shadow would break the shelf in the refrigerator since he's so huge! Glad that I'm not the only one with an oversized cat. Got a laugh out of your story as well.

Gotta love our cats!:)

• 3 weeks later...

Omg, That Was Toooo Funny! I Too Am Obsessed With These Threads And Am Currently Sitting On My Bed Lmao With Tears Streaming Down My Face. Beside Me Are My Two Cats Who Have Learned To Join Me Here For A Little Attention. I Can't Wait Till My Dh Gets Home So He Can Read This.

• 3 weeks later...

Okay, I'm also sitting here with tears streaming down my face from laughing! My husband thinks I have lost it (he may be right). I also have one of our four cats sitting between me and the keyboard, and am typing around her :)

Does anyone else have the angst I feel when I leave the kitties behind to go off on a cruise? We have a petsitter come in to care for them (same woman for 10+ years now, so I know she is reliable), but I still feel guilty! :(

buc,

Poor kitty. Glad you work close to your refrigerator. Otherwise you might have had frozen kitty pops. Who watched the cat while you were on your cruise? We still have one daughter home, so she's the kitty nanny. Where did you go on your cruise?

• 1 month later...
My niece was the house and child (and kitty) sitter. We went on the western caribbean (Belize:( , Costa Maya:cool: , Cozumel:) , and Grand Cayman:D .

your story was so funny!

So what was wrong with Belize??? Inquiring minds want to know.

• 2 months later...

To Buscat1 and Sassy!

Thank you BOTH for the wonderful laugh. I'm sitting here laughing so hard that I'm crying! As someone who is experiencing precruiseitis also (my first cruise ever) and who is completely obsessed with both the planning and the message boards, I totally understand. And as someone with 11 cats (yes, you read that right, 11) I now vow to be aware of them at all times. This is not easy for me when 2 of them have a refrigerator fixation anyways. China tries to climb in every time I open the door and Chili is no better. Chili by the way is 30 lbs of Ragdoll, so my shelves may just crack if I put her in there!

Again, I thank you so much for the laugh...after the day I had this was sorely needed!

I feel your pain lol I leave in 2 days Yipeeee!

My cats have a habit of laying in my suit case and burrowing under what I have packed in there. Not noticing I accidently zipped one suit case up to put it in with the rest of the finished suit cases I picked it up and I felt something really heavy slide down as I uprighted the case to use the handle for wheels. Thought to myself darn what did I put in there that was so heavy. Then thought Oh maybe it was my shoes sliding down.

Ok I wheel it from one end of the house to the other and propped it next to the others. About 5 mins later I am walking by the room and I hear something kinda thud in the suit case room I look and notice one had fell over. I proceed to upright it and it starts bouncing around like something had posessed it. At first I am kinda startled because my mind isnt registering what I am seeing the suit case is now kinda moving on its own. Finally reality sets in and I realise what is going on. I lay the suit case flat and I unzip it and like a Jack in the box out pops the head of my Kitty Austin he looks at me like Hey! whats goin on? He then proceeds to curl him self back up and go back to sleep in the same suit case lol.

Now when I am ready to do the final zip up I have to run my hands under the contents of the suit case and make sure I have no stoaways in there. Can you imagine what the xray people at the Airport would think with this crazy woman and her cat in the suit case!

My kitty Mischief used to get so mad when we were packing for vacations, she'd pee in our suitcases. Yeah.......meaning she did it more than once to more than one suitcase. Thank goodness they make that kitty pee enzyme cleaner.

My poor kitty isn't here to do that anymore......I miss her terribly. Thanks for all of the cat stories!

• 6 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

OMG!! This has to be one of the funniest threads! Thanks for sharing your story. It was priceless. I can't imagine even one of our cats sitting on the refrigerator shelf as composed as yours.

Narina -- I too have suitcase kitties but I have never zipped one in yet. They love to lay in the suitcases while I'm packing. I will need to be more careful after reading your post.

We used to have a cat who left post-vacation "gifts" in the bathtub to let us know of his dis-satisfaction with us. He was the best cat (our first as a married couple) and I still miss him after 10 years --- not the "gifts" though.;)

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

OK the stories about the cat in the fridge and the one about accidentally zipping up the suitcase w/the cat inside were sooooo funny!!! I am laughing so hard!!! And I am happy to know that I do not have as fat of a cat as everybody says I do!! Mine is only 13 lbs. However me fiance calls her CatZilla!!

OMG, that was the funniest story I have heard in a while. I had just finished reading this email (wondering if that story about a lizard was true) and was still crying with laughter from it when I started to read this post. My sides are hurting, then I hit the one with the suitcase and I can barely type. The things we do to our animals and they do to us....lmao.

Kim

• 4 weeks later...

You know, you can take your cat(s) with you. At least on Cunard trans- Atlantic you can. We did in May 23-June 4 this year and we believe that our cat enjoyed it; I know that we did, even though he was in the kennels and not in our cabin. Cost more than boarding him at the vet's, but less than having someone come to our house twice a day to give him his medication.

• 2 months later...

Bucsat1, you are not alone...

It was two days before Christmas, and I not only had a hectic work load because this is one of the busy times of the year for me at work, but I was also having my family over for Christmas. At the time I had a lady who would come clean my house every other week. She calls me at work and tells me that she found our kitten in the fridge. My heart dropped down in my stomach as a panicked feel sank over me. I was almost in tears when I asked is she ok, and she replied just a little cold.

She came in the house, and she noticed the fridge door was not shut. She started to close it, and there was something in the way. When she open the door, there sat my 4 month old kitten, Cricket.

Cricket had this thing about the fridge. At night when I was trying to get dinner ready she would climb on the ledge and try to get on one of the lower shelves just above vegetable drawer. I was constantly getting her out. Luckily, because of Christmas dinner the shelf was pack full of food, it kept her from getting on it. Needless to say, I moved the shelf up and replaced it with the other drawer. The very next time I open the door she come running in, jumped up and hit the drawer instead of landing on the shelf.

I can laugh about it now, but my ex-husband was so mad at me when I called to tell him what happened. He yelled at me and fussed. He had me in tears.

Archived