free Wifi in Athens and Mykonos? Or an app to locate free wifi?

I read that there are apps to download ahead of time that will allow me to find free wifi hot spots in Greece. I am going to both Athens and Mykonos.

Can anyone link or recommend an app or a place to access free wifi in the above ports?

And finally, Just to make sure I'm doing this correctly:

1) I need to turn my iphone to airplane mode to avoid data charges while in Europe.

2) When in airplane mode, I will need to manually turn on wifi. This will allow me to access free wifi and avoid charges.

Anything else I'm missing?

Thank you in advance!

Cheryl

I have an iPhone and use an app called eWifi. It is no longer on the app store though as it is a wifi sniffer of sorts and APple, in its infinitie wisdom, discontinued support for these. There may be some jailbroken apps if you ahve an iPhone with jailbreak.

However, Walking around with this on, I did find an open network close to the tiny church in town (you will see when you get there), but do not remember the network it was. Sorry. The connection was weak but was strong enough t sync emails and throw a FB status up.

Never found anything in Athens, but I assume most coffee houses (i.e. Starbucks) would have something you could get on

There is a Free Public Wifi connection i got on near the bus terminal in Oia, Santorini if you are going there.

You DO NOT need to put your phone in airplane mode. Just make sure your "Data Roaming" is turned off. If you do go to airplane mode, you will not be able to make or receive calls or SMS messages and will need to turn wifi on manually (not usually a big deal), but if you need flexibility to make cals or send SMS, leave airplane mode OFF and just turns your data roaming off

Here are some other threads you might want to check out. Make sure you read through all the posts:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1367611

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1343786

Archived