cumberbund in or out

If it's on a cruise ship, where many won't even be in a suit, he doesn't wear the cummerbund with his tux.

Sorry CB at sea but look in which forum the question was originally asked. We were talking about Cunard where the vast majority of men will be in a dinner suit on a formal evening and almost all the rest will be in a dark suit. Those men who chooes not to be formally dressed will only be able to eat from the buffet or from room service. :)

We have decided to forego the cummerbund and stay with the 3 button waistcoat for DH. As he has gotten older, his shape has changed and the cummerbund does indeed roll up to the wrinkled rope during the long evening. He has a 3 button waistcoat that matches his tux fabric (black). We like this look better that the higher, 4 or 5 button vests. We recently found a silver and black paisley 3 button waistcoat that will look great. DH had a birthday yesterday and he got a new white dinner jacket so he can have a change of pace on longer cruises.

Love, love men in formal wear. :D

Margee

... I have been completely unable to find a decent looking waistcoat.

AH, the endless quest. I've been looking for 2+ years. There is one floating around the net-stores which is on the edge of acceptable. I'd rather wait for a properly designed black vest with a slight scoop front.

Those hideous, high-cut, candy-colored, patterned, cheap McVests for sale everywhere are NOT formal vests. Those are circus wear.

...Those hideous, high-cut, candy-colored, patterned, cheap McVests for sale everywhere are NOT formal vests. Those are circus wear.

Completely agree - I think if I've been unable to find one before the next cruise I'll get someone to make one for me.

J

I'm happy they moved this out of the Cunard area to more general exposure. Gives us a chance to see how others look at cruising. For the dozen or so of us who persist in tuxing up on "mass market" lines, the question of cummerbund survival is of some serious interest. I pack both waistcoats and belly bands and decide which to wear purely by whimsey.

• 3 weeks later...

In, with an option...

SNIP.... I pack both waistcoats and belly bands and decide which to wear purely by whimsey.

This is also my m.o. I believe the outfit requires one or t'other.

btw U.S. Navy mess dress requires the gold cummerbund.

Cheers

Mark

Archived